Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2015 09:00

Slow Connection - Dell Wireless 1801 802.11bgn

The newly bought Inspiron 3650 desktop has slow Internet connection. I have an old Dell laptop Lattitude E5430 placed next to it. I would expect them to have same speed. Running the speed test on both computers (through the cable provider's (Optimum) website), however, the desktop is giving me very slow results around 11M while the laptop is showing what I have purchased for (50M).

I tried to resolve the issue. I have updated the driver of the network card and firmware. I have also seen ppl suggesting to enable the mode n. However I do not have this option (see attached screenshot).

My router has both 2.4 and 5 Ghz. It seems that the laptop is connected through 5 GHz while the desktop is 2.4 GHz. Not sure if this is the reason however I cannot change the bandwidth through settings.

I have attached the screenshots that I think can be useful. Can someone help me figure out what is going on? A million thanks!

1.8K Posts

December 14th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

The Dell Wireless 1801 does support both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bandwidths.   When you pull up the list of available networks on the Inspiron 3650 do you not see a listing for the 5 GHz wireless network from your router?  (I'm assuming on your laptop you see both bandwidth options as connections that are available)

The DW1801 does support N-band connections as well.  If you leave it to Auto it should connect at N-band speeds and protocols (if available).

The latest driver we have for the DW1801 card is Version 2023.14.615.2015, A00.  Can you confirm that is what is on your system?  If so, try deleting the driver and wireless profiles, then reboot the system and allow Windows 10 to either find a native driver or reinstall this driver.  See if rebuilding that driver and profile allows for a better connection and all options.

Also, you said you updated the firmware, which I take to mean the firmware on the router.  Is that correct?

Here are some links that you may find helpful. 

Wireless Networking for the Home for Windows 10

Resolving Connection Issues on Your Wi-Fi Network for Windows 10

One other thing I would suggest (It's also in the links above) is to remove the security settings on the router connection to see if that improves your connection. (Don't forget to reestablish them after the test).  That will help determine if it's a protocol / configuration issue with the security settings on the connection.

Lastly, what are you using to test your internet connection?  Are you just going by what the speed listed in the properties window you linked above?   Try http://www.speedtest.net, that is what I usually test my home connections with.

Let me know if deleting the drivers / profiles help, or if something in the support articles I linked does.  If not, I'll see what else I can find to try to help.

Todd

3 Posts

December 14th, 2015 18:00

Hi Todd,

Thank you so much for the information. The 2.4 GHz and 5GHz networks were managed as one by my router. After splitting them I can see both on my laptop but only the 2.4GHz one on my desktop. Deleting the drivers and profiles did not change it either.

I was using the Optimum speed test on their website. I am getting the similar result following your link (1.9mb on the Inpiron desktop and 13mb on the laptop). I feel that there is something wrong with my network card in the desktop because I do not see any options for N-band connections. According to this article, this is an issue with the driver for Windows 8.

www.dell.com/.../en

1.8K Posts

December 15th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

You may also want to see if you can run the Dell Wireless Diagnostic Utility and see what the results are.  I would recommend you contact Dell's Tech Support and see if they can provide you any more information than I can regarding the driver.  

Lastly, have you checked to make sure the antenna leads on the card are firmly connected?  It could have worked loose during shipment.

Todd

1 Message

January 24th, 2016 22:00

Hey Todd,

Di d you ever get this fixed?  I just got a new Inspiron with the same card and it's not finding the 5g wireless broadcast.  I'm on Windows 10 as it was installed on the new computer.

Thanks.

Robyn

4 Posts

September 11th, 2016 09:00

I have the same problem. I bought a brand new XPS 8900 with wireless card: 1801 802.11bgn on July 18, 2016. It does not find either of the 5ghz wifi networks that I have set up, one directly from the router and a second with an extender.

Does this wireless card recognize 5ghz or not? Pretty disappointing if it doesn't.

Thank you!

4 Posts

September 25th, 2016 12:00

As an update - this card does not support 5Ghz networks. You need a card that has AC. According to another Dell tech it is part #6XRYC for $18.99. Because the pc I bought is being advertised with AC, I'm working on getting a replacement from the retailer.

1 Message

October 9th, 2017 18:00

Last comment here is over a year old, did anyone find the solution to this, or do we need to find a new wireless card?  

1 Message

December 14th, 2020 09:00

Yes I found it! You should check in Options (was a print screen above) if your Bandwidth is on auto mode. Mine was turned on 20 hz, so I changed it to - 20/40 Hz auto. The problem was that it worked fine with older model Linksys router, but with new D-link it reached only 0,5 mb/s before drivers update (after update also only until 4 mb/s), when now I get nearly 100 mb

No Events found!