Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2004 16:00

Support tuner has encountered a network error

We have a Dell Dimension 4100 running Windows ME that used to be directly connected to cable internet as a stand-alone PC.  We recently bought a Dell Dimension 2400 running Windows XP and a Linksys BEFSR41 router with the intention of creating a home network with both PCs.

I had both PCs up and running the internet for a couple of days although I hadn't figured out how to view/share the files/folders between the 2 machines.  I now can view the 4100 ME PC from the XP PC so I think the network is set up.  The 2400 XP PC works fine.

After a couple of days, however, the 4100 ME PC crashed and was unable to reboot.  I received the blue screen of death with only devldr16 and statemgr running in Task Manager.  I ended up using the scanreg /restore command from a DOS prompt and had to restore to a 6/2003 recovery date because my machine inadvertantly stopped setting system restore points.  The 4100 ME PC now boots up but I can't connect to the internet at all and receive the following network error message "The support tuner has encountered a network error. Check the state of the network and try again."  How do I resolve this error?  I've tried selecting Internet Connection Sharing within Communications and every time I reboot it's unselected and I receive the same network error message.

January 19th, 2004 17:00

Is a clean ME install the only option available?  I'd prefer not to.  Someone else on the Forum had this error on ME and they said a clean install didn't fix the problem but they didn't say what, if anything resolved it.  Will I lose all my data files if I do a clean ME install?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

12K Posts

Sounds like a clean install of the OS is needed install of a restore.

12K Posts

If you only have one partition on your drive, a clean install will erase everything.  Did you not back up your data?

A quick search turns up this message board which indicates you may havespyware installed:

http://www.spywareeliminator.com/forum/index.php?s=aef60911d2e772c52cf01594d70f3291&showtopic=366&st=0&#entry1088

I also saw another board where it was mentioning AOL.  Do you use AOL?  How is you netwrok setup?  Do both machines connect directly to the router?

Physically remove all the network settings and unistall the card and reboot and let everything re-install itself.

Message Edited by jmwills on 01-19-2004 02:57 PM

January 19th, 2004 18:00

Both PCs connect directly to the Linksys BEFSR41 router.  We do not use AOL.  We use Internet Explorer.  What should I disconnect or uninstall?

12K Posts

January 19th, 2004 18:00

The network card and all its protocols.

www.homenethelp.com

12K Posts

January 19th, 2004 19:00

Make sure you do a clean install and not a reintsall over your current OS.  Have all the drivesrs you need available on removable media.

January 19th, 2004 19:00

I copied all of my data files and I'm going to reinstall Windows ME.  Is there anything special I need to be aware of or options I need to choose?  Thanks for your help.

12K Posts

January 19th, 2004 20:00

Do not save the current operating system files, that's why it's called a clean install.

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/software/windows/winme/install/inst.html

January 19th, 2004 20:00

We have all the drivers on removable media (CDROM) devices.  We inserted the Reinstall WME CDROM we received with the PC and selected "Continue Setup and replace your current operating system."  We then chose the option to save existing system files of the currrent environment.  On the next step, which was to copy the new windows files, it reached 65% of the copy step and we received the following fatal error message "SUWIN caused a general protection fault in module VERX.DLL at 0002:24AE."  We had to close the error message because Ignore did nothing and now we're at a black screen with the message "Please remove any floppy disks from your drives and press any key to restart your system."  Now what?
No Events found!