Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 16th, 2012 08:00

Vostro 460 Network card not found Code 31 need to reboot 3 to 4 times

I have 10 Vostro 460s, the network cards are not being found on startup.  You have to reboot the systems 3-4 times to get Windows to find the Network cards.  All drivers are up to date.  This may be related to a Windows update, since the machine were fine for a month or so until an Update came out.

2 Posts

July 31st, 2012 11:00

We have the same issue.  3 out of 11 Vostro 460 missing NIC. I totally agree with jason629. Either call Dell for a new MB or get a new NIC. I spent hours and hours trying to update bios/driver, restart, unplug, reset MB, shaking. I ended up geting  new NICs.

Disappointed. Dell's quailty is going downhill.  

135 Posts

June 18th, 2014 10:00

Claykin said that we should not judge Dell before reaching out to them to request a solution to this apparent defect, and so I did. Today I received a call and a follow up email from Dell's Executive Customer Support that can be summarized as simply saying tough luck, we don't care. I think they will care when I choose Lenovo instead of Dell to replace these desktops on our next refresh cycle which is right around the corner... so tough luck right back to Dell for having their manufacturing defect show up just about the same time we are making purchasing decisions for our company.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 16th, 2012 10:00

Andre S,

Please run the Finding System Information Tool and post the information back here.

Error 31

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Recommended resolution

Update the driver

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

In the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to update the driver.

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

6 Posts

January 17th, 2012 00:00

Hi Rick.  

Our 460MT also does the same thing - Windows does not think there is a Network card at all so there is no driver to update.  Reboot 3-4 (sometimes 5 times) and it's eventually found, and then works normally.

System information as below. (once the NIC was found!)

We're using the Trend Micro that came with the machine.

Thanks in advance!

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 
OS Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
Original Install Date: 27/06/2011, 10:28:16
System Boot Time: 17/01/2012, 08:30:13
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Vostro 460
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
BIOS Version: Dell Inc. A03, 15/02/2011
System Locale: en-gb;English (United Kingdom)
Input Locale: en-gb;English (United Kingdom)
Time Zone: (UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SHARP
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 78-2B-CB-A4-9E-15
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::91ce:4e47:c60e:c94c%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.114(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 17 January 2012 08:30:26
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 18 January 2012 08:30:26
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 242756555
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-93-02-A1-78-2B-CB-A4-9E-15
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{D189719F-F7CB-4F5B-AFBC-1D9BF357025F}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:62:13da:a95c:af61(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::62:13da:a95c:af61%13(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 17th, 2012 03:00

SFrog,

I don't see a wireless adapter in the log. Places to look to see if the Connection is enabled If you have a wireless adpater, does it show in the device manager? If yes, click on advanced and see if it has antenna diversity. Some adapters have it and some don't. If your adapter has it, then change the antenna diversity from auto to aux.

Start, control panel, network and sharing center. Click on your network, then click on properties.

Look for TCP/IPv4 and TCP/Ipv6 mand click on properties for each. Make your settings match mine.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Jason,

See if these drivers work.

Broadcom BCM5784M LAN or better known as Broadcom Netlink Gigibit Ethernet (64-bit drivers) 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

You might have to install them in the Vista Compatibility mode

Rick

6 Posts

Hi Rick.

Thanks for the reply.

The issue isn't a wireless networking issue, it's the wired network adapter that isn't found.

Thanks.

Jason.

6 Posts

January 17th, 2012 08:00

The file version you are suggesting is from 2008, the most current version from Broadcom site is 14.8.2.0, from 7/12/2011, which still exhibits the same behavior.  We are running Kaspersky AV v6.0.4.  Considering SFrog is running the Trend Micro AV may not be the culprit.

904 Posts

January 17th, 2012 11:00

Hi,

I have had similar issues, the issue is actually caused by a corrupt Windows Update installation, if you are lucky a System restore to an earlier point i.e., before the update occured would resolve this.

In my case i had to re-install the OS.

I would suggest re-installing OS if you have already tried the following

- Update / Re-install network drivers.

- System Restore.

Trust me a factory re-install is faster than trying to get to the bottom of this, in your case with 10 systems Dell Datasafe is the only software to the rescue.

January 17th, 2012 12:00

I didn't mention it, but this system went offline at 5:45 on Sunday.  It appears to be the same time frame as your problem.

I'm a Dell Partner, and I have a client with the same problem.  I sold them the computer a little less than a year ago.  

It does not appear to be an OS issue.  I have rebooted with a live Linux distribution, and it doesn't even see the network controller on the PCI bus.  I apparently have not rebooted enough times to get it to work again.  I rebooted 10 times, with no change.  I've uninstalled all of the Windows Updates from the past week with no luck.  I have not tried a system restore yet because it didn't show up in the Linux distro.

I'm working (very slowly) with Dell ProSupport. Have you had any luck?

6 Posts

No luck with Dell support yet, it could be related to a MS OS update since all 10 worked for a few months then they started exhibiting the No Network card behavior.  My guess is people with this issue are going to start coming "out of the woodwork".  I may try putting in a new/different NIC and updating my Kaspersky AV.

904 Posts

January 17th, 2012 13:00

Just wanted to let you know Guys Error code 31 means a lot of things.

- Update Device Drivers (Registry Fix / Update Driver)

- Network Card Failure

- Windows Update Corruption. (System Restore / Registry Fix / Re-Installation)

Based on your scenario choose the category you below. I worked in Dell Tech Dept and this thing took two days without any resolution i have tried Changes in registry settings which worked for some

Try the following registry fixes..(Backup your registry before you do anything)

- Deleting Upper and Lower Filters ( For the Hardware device you are facing the problem)

- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\, now there will be a lot of Ven_XXX sub keys, under each you will find a random key, highlight that and on the right hand side look for 'DeviceDesc' (Device Description) this is important if you want to find the Hardware you are having issue with. Now once you have located the right key right click on the corresponding Ven_XXX go to permissions and give 'Everyone' Full Access else you can add yourself.

If these registry fixes don't work, Re-installation would be the faster way.

January 17th, 2012 13:00

Dell has asked me to clear the NVRAM. I'm going to go pick up the computer, it is at a client's site.

January 17th, 2012 16:00

This worked:

1. Clear the NVRAM or CMOS settings, you need to disconnect the power cord from the outlet and hold the power button for 10 seconds.
  2. Then locate the 3-pin CMOS jumper (CLEAR CMOS) on the system board.
  3. Remove the jumper plug from the CMOS jumper (CLEAR CMOS) pins 2 and 3
  4. Place the jumper plug on the CMOS jumper (CLEAR CMOS) pins 1 and 2 and wait approximately five seconds.
  5. Remove the jumper plug and replace it on the CMOS jumper (CLEAR CMOS) pins 2 and 3.
  6. Finally plug it back in and make sure the Network cable is connected and turn it on to go into the BIOS
No Events found!