Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2010 11:00

Windows 7 - can't connect to wifi following password change

I changed the password on my Belkin wireless router/modem. My other devices eventually asked me to input the new password but my new Inspiron 1370 64-bit running Windows 7 refuses to do so.

When I select the wireless network from the list it tries to connect, the window to input the security key flashes up for a milli-second before the window displays saying "Windows was unable to connect to ******" (The ****** represent the SSID). Running the troubleshooting tool results in it being unable to resolve the problem.

If I ask it to connect to a different wifi network in the list, the security key window displays immediately.

This has got me stumped!

Thanks for reading this.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 15th, 2010 14:00

wayfarer14,

What type of security are you using? I usually recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11 but...

I have seen this issue with the Belking wireless N routers. Some Belkin Wireless N routers do not recognize the difference between Wpa-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal) and WPA-AES.

Curious to try WEP and see if it connects. WEP can be hacked, so it's not recommended.

The Belkin Wireless N, is this a dual band router? If you do not tell the Belkin to use the mixed mode(wireless g network) the wireless G(3.8gh) cards work on a different frequency from wireless N (5.8gh) 

Rick

22 Posts

September 16th, 2010 01:00

Hi Pudgyone,

When I booted the laptop today, there was a red cross against my router and the Connect option was greyed out.

I went through your recommended wireless settings and made a couple of adjustments.

I right-clicked on the SSID and a properties option was listed (not there yesterday, nor on the other SSID's in the list). I was then able to amend the security options to match the router AND type in the new security key.

The laptop is now working wirelessly again. Please mark this as resolved.

Thank you very much!

Wayfarer14

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 16th, 2010 02:00

wayfarer14,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for postinbg back.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!