Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2011 18:00

Wireless signal strength is very weak on Dell Studio 540s

Hi,

I have a Dell Studio 540s (Slim).  The system works fine.  However, I am trying to use the desktops wireless component but for some reason, it doesn't connect to my wireless router on a consistent basis.  It recognizes my network but the signal is very weak at times.  I have two other Dell laptops in the house and they both work fine in connecting to the wireless network. 

What can I do to make the Dell Studio 540s connect to my wireless network on a consistent basis?  I use to have the router right next to it but now I have moved this PC into another room.  I should still be able to connect. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I am not sure where the antenna is on this studio 540s.

Thank you,

EG

7 Posts

January 30th, 2011 14:00

After reading some prior post I realized that my Dell Studio 540s desktop has a Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card.  According to others experiences with this card it is bad.  I updated the drivers and software version to 4.170.25.17 and 4.170.25.12 respectively but still do not get a good signal or any signal at all with my modem/router.

I contacted Dell Support to see if I could fix this issue but they representative did not help me.  We placed the modem/router right next to the machine and only got a fair/poor connection with the Mbps fluctuating b/t 36, 24, and 18.Even though I have two laptops in my home that can connect to my 2WIRE DSL Modem/router with and Excellent signal.  Only this desktop cannot connect properly. 

Dell tech support does not want to admit that this is a bad card or give me a replacement.  I even ask them to give me any other suggestions that I can use to properly using a wireless card. 

Does anyone know if there is another type of internal card I could use to connect this desktop in a wireless fashion?

No Events found!