Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2009 14:00

XPS M1330 Can't Find Wireless Networks (Consistently)

I've had my XPS M1330 laptop for a while now. All of a sudden, I'm having a problem connecting to wireless networks. When I click on the system tray to check to see what networks are available, it says that none are available. I live in a building and there's tons of networks all around! And I know for a fact it's not our network itself because my wife's computer can connect to it with no problem (we bought our laptops at the same time).

For me to be able to even see the networks, I have to restart my computer. It'll work for a while and then, I'll get dropped from the network and I won't be able to find any available. I'm so annoyed!!!

Any ideas? I've tried calling Dell. They say they can't help me because it's not a hardware issue. I was on the phone with them for hours. We checked for any errors. He said he couldn't find any.

9 Posts

February 11th, 2009 10:00

I have similar issue on my XPS m1530. I hd this issue since I bought my computer in May 2008..have called Dell tech support several times, even took the wireless card out and put it back in again( as asked by technician) still didn't get the issue fixed. Now they want me to restore computer to factory settings-which I really doubt will fix the issue as I am pretty sure it is a Hardware problem. I did agree to restore my computer to factory settings as I have a lot of programs and data on my PC and no way to back up.

I requested them to send technician over(I payed extra for onsite service) and replace the card but they won't agree without restoring the pc to factory settings.

Please check this thread also for the similar problem -

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19255497/19420674.aspx#19420674

Please help!!!!

4 Posts

August 2nd, 2009 19:00

HI All, I had a neighbor just get a Studio 13 with a wireless-n 1515 adapter.   Had the exact problem that everyone has described in threads.  Connectivity with less than wireless-n and frequent drops and problems reconnecting.   As many have suggested, Google has problems with Dell and as many with HP.  Anyone using a wireless n solution based on AR5009 (atheros) chipset.   Did a lot of web searching as some of the download suggestion links had gone stale.   Found this link (http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/15297-atheros-modded-driver-for-windws-7-vista-and-winxp/) that had multiple drivers to download.   System had 4GB of memory and 64bit OS.   Did trial and error and .259 for x64 fixed the intermittent drop problem.   Others may have a different combo, but lots to choose from.

On the less than wireless n side, others have reminded that any router security needs to WPA, WPA-2, TPIK.   WEP, which is standard on some configs, won't do greater than 54mbps (wireless g equivalent).   As soon as we reset router config and entered WPA-2 key he created for router.  We had stable connection over 54mbps.  

Just some things for folks to consider.

No Events found!