Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2008 20:00

does my bluetooth support A2DP?

Ladies & Gents -

There's nothing worse than having buddies over for beer and listening to tunes through your laptop speakers, is there?

Okay, so I don't really do that, but I'm stuck listening to music that's on CDs. But what about the myriad of goods I've got on my laptop? I found a great solution: the Sony HWS-BTA2W Bluetooth transmitter/receiver.

It came in the mail, but there's still a problem. I don't know if my Bluetooth configuration supports A2DP! How can I find out? Anybody? Please hurry... the guys are showing up soon!

-kms- 

1.1K Posts

June 19th, 2008 18:00

a2dp who:

What Laptop, OS and Bluetooth card do you currently have?

7 Posts

June 19th, 2008 19:00

• Dell Inspiron E1705
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
  • Dell Truemobile 355 Bluetooth + EDR

For what it's worth, when I open 'Bluetooth Devices' and click on the 'Hardware' tab, the three items that appear are:

• Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator
  • Windows Mobile-based device support
  • Dell Truemobile 355 Bluetooth + EDR

All device statuses say "...working properly."

I'm pretty sure that somewhere, somehow, I don't have the A2DP profile. I say this because I was able to successfully stream stereo music through my home stereo (via the Sony blueooth TX/RX device); and I was not able to pair my Motorola S9 (stereo bluetooth headset) with my laptop. The combination of those two facts is what leads me to believe I may not have the A2DP profile on my laptop.

What do you think?

6 Posts

June 20th, 2008 05:00

Chris, I have the same question.

However

- Inspiron 1520

- Vista

DELL Truemobile 355 Bluetooth+EDR Microsoft Blutetooth Enumerator

If both Newbie and I have the same issue - and the card does not support A2DP, would you know if there is another driver we can download for this card that supports A2DP ?

Message Edited by asvaberg on 06-20-2008 01:35 AM

1.1K Posts

June 25th, 2008 12:00

asvaberg:

From my understanding, A2DP is a supported profile on the DELL Truemobile 355.

I found this on another board, but try the ASUS WL-BTD201M v. 5.1.0.4500 drivers which also use the broadcom chipset.

Refer to the last post in this thread and let me know if it works for you:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=140578

7 Posts

June 25th, 2008 17:00

Chris,

Thanks for your attention to this -- it's greatly appreciated.

I also saw someone suggest that Vista SP1 might fix the problem, but I can't even get SP1 to successfully install on my system to know! The installation failure *might* be related to my Bluetooth situation since, upon restart after failure, a dialog box opens that says:

BTTray.exe - Unable to locate component

This application has failed to start because btwhidcs.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Anyway, I'd love to try your suggestion; but before I try it, would you mind giving me a step-by-step procedure to follow for doing whatever it takes to implement the use of those drivers? For instance, do I need to uninstall a stack through Programs/Features (Control Panel)? Do I need to uninstall the Bluetooth radio in Device Manager? Do these things need to be done in a particular order?

Also, I set a restore point before messing with the Bluetooth drivers the first time. When I found my efforts wound up screwing everything up, I tried to revert to the Restore Point, but my Bluetooth stuff didn't successfully revert. Any ideas how I can avoid that this time around?

Thanks again. I wish I could give you a case of your beer of choosing for your services...

6 Posts

July 1st, 2008 15:00

Chris - it works - without any driver downloads  - but it is not acceptable sound quality.

Sometimes the songs get out of tune, up and down a quarter note

And sometimes the sound transmittal interfers and the is a gap, no sound - just some tenth of a second - but very irritating.

Besides that the sound quality is ok

7 Posts

July 1st, 2008 16:00

asvaberg (and Chris),

So what process--in great detail--did you use to install the drivers? Did you uninstall anything first? When you installed the drivers, did you have to put on some other stack, or was everything necessary to run Bluetooth included in the driver package?

Do you have other nearby wireless devices (cordless phone, etc.) that might be screwing with your sound quality via interference with the data transmission? 

-kevin- 

6 Posts

July 1st, 2008 17:00

on my Inspiron 1520 I didn't have to do any changes - but the sound is not good :smileysad:

however I am now trying to update the driver or try out what Chris said earlier about another driver....

in the bluetooth receiver manual it clearly says that wlan (or microwave ovens) can interfer with the bluetooth transmittion - however I am now listening to songs on my surround receiver via SonyEricsson cellphone W610i - bluetooth (A2DP) to the Sony bluetooth receiver and cables to my surround receiver - no interference from wlan whatsoever!!!

7 Posts

July 1st, 2008 17:00

Yeah, I was able to stream music (A2DP) from my Blackjack II to the Sony HWS Tx/Rx unit, also, and the sound was okay -- but not great. I guess I could always just use a wired connection from my laptop to my stereo receiver and not have to deal with this at all, but I'd like to be able to have total control over what music is playing (by having my laptop sitting beside me).

Let me know how the driver update goes... 

7 Posts

July 1st, 2008 18:00

You're right: Broadcom dropped some dollars and gobbled Widcomm up.

That's some skilled internet searching, my friend! Let me know how it works for you, 'cause I might be looking to give it a whirl myself.

There's nothing easy about all this Bluetooth stuff, is there?:smileymad: 

6 Posts

Don't know if I sould autorun the new driver (zip files unpacked) or if I should just update drivers on the 355 card????

7 Posts

Aha! See, now you're wondering about the same things I'm always wondering about -- that's why I keep asking for VERY DETAILED instructions on how to do things, even including whether or not to delete a file or the order in which to do things.

This is also why I mentioned, in an earlier post, setting a System Restore Point so that if I did anything wrong, I could just go back to the previous restore point. However, when I messed stuff up and tried to go back to the previous restore point, it went back successfully but my Bluetooth changes were still messed up!

That being said (about Restore Points), since your 355 is supposedly working okay, perhaps the better bet would be to simply update the drivers rather than let it auto-run and potentially un-do anything that was re-done. Know what I mean?

Chris, any pointers on this?

6 Posts

I will - but I have problems finding the driver on the net:

"Try the v. 5.1.0.4500 Widcom driver for the ASUS WL-BTD201M Bluetooth dongle. It apparently uses the same Broadcom chip as the 355. The download is large but has been written for most platforms. I couldn't get this driver from Dell or Broadcom (new owner of Widcom)."

Aparently, Widcomm have had a takeover by Broadcom and maybe does not have driver downloads supported anymore....

I tried out Asus homepage and I found it:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=WL-BTD201M

64 or 32 bits versions....... happy days :)

Message Edited by asvaberg on 07-01-2008 02:07 PM

6 Posts

July 2nd, 2008 05:00

I really know what you mean - been there done that.

Getting back setups that worked ok can be difficult.

OK, I tried to update the driver on 355 - no new drivers found on automatical choice.

OK, I tried to update driver on using the download mentioned earlier - the installation went fine, but the bluetooth icon in the taskbar dissapeared and did not come back after restart.

So I had to find the bluetooth on start+search and rolled back the old driver.

But I was told by norwegian friends that I will have to remove 355 and then install the ASUS driver system.

edit: here is the link

http://webisee.com/2008/04/14/bluetooth-stack-in-windows-vista-a2dp-high-quality-stereo-2/

hmmmm - but what if it does not work - and there you have your point of view - to restore back to a working bluetooth....

Chris............... heeeelp :)

Message Edited by asvaberg on 07-02-2008 02:03 AM
Message Edited by asvaberg on 07-02-2008 03:33 AM
No Events found!