Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2008 06:00

internal 802.11b/g card and netgear wpn824v2

I have a netgear WPN824v2(says:driver version3.0) which was used for xp os an "older" pc(with the WPN111 adapter)..now getting an inspiron 530 (VISTA/sp1),I included in my purchase the internal pci 802.11 b/g wireless network card.

1. How can I setting up the network using the netgear router to new pc(vista), while still having the netgear adapter on my xp one?
  2. Most importantly,will the internal pci card "find" the router automatically /or do I need to install the netgears' driver (I dont know if cd driver version is compatible with Vista)?

28K Posts

June 16th, 2008 04:00

How can I setting up the network using the netgear router to new pc(vista), while still having the netgear adapter on my xp one?  You don't have to do anything to keep the netgear adapter on your XP computer, it will still connect to the router just like before.

Most importantly,will the internal pci card "find" the router automatically /or do I need to install the netgears' driver (I dont know if cd driver version is compatible with Vista)?  I strongly recommend that you DO NOT install any drivers or software for the router.  They are never necessary!!.  The wireless adapter in the new computer will find the wireless network provided by the router.  This is exactly how it works if you are going to connect to ANY wireless network, whehter it is yours or one at free hotspot.  Of course if you have security enabled on your router, then you will have to enter the correct network key on your new computer in order to connect to the secured router.

Steve

No Events found!