Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 25th, 2006 12:00

sharing a "c" drive over a wireless network

I have set up a wireless home network.  I have enabled sharing of the "c" drive.  However, only some of the files will share.  Sometimes I recieve the "need permission of the administrator" message,      ( I am the administrator),  sometimes the files simply won't open.  What did I do wrong this time?

Thank you.

795 Posts

March 25th, 2006 15:00

Steve,

"Windows security will not allow you share files or subfolders in anything under Documents and Settings folder(except the Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents folder - which is also the shared documents folder) or under the Program Files or the Windows folder."

I know you have mentioned this before, but I am going to take issue with the part about anything under the Documents and Settings Folder.  I believe the cited link refers to Windows XP Pro only and more specifically only when Classic File Sharing is enabled.  All the dialogs shown in the link show the Security tab, which is not available when Simple File Sharing is enabled.

I routinely set up Simple File Sharing networks and share anything within Documents and Settings.  Typically I share the C: drive and then enable sharing on the user name folder(s) within Documents and Settings.  This gives me total access to any sub-folder to the user name folder.

I've never tried to do this using Classic File Sharing, but have no problem sharing anything under a user name folder in Windows 2000 Pro, which only offers Classic File Sharing.  I believe I've also added the "Everyone" user to these shares and given "Everyone" full control.

28K Posts

March 25th, 2006 15:00

Windows security will not allow you share files or subfolders in anything under Documents and Settings folder(except the Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents folder - which is also the shared documents folder) or under the Program Files or the Windows folder. 

See item number 5 in the following document:

Also, are you sure that all firewalls that you may be running are configured to allow local network access?

Steve

28K Posts

March 25th, 2006 16:00

I agree with you 100%.  I guess I should have mentioned that it is possible with Windows XP Pro, but it is not possible with Windows XP Home since there is no option to disable Simple File Sharing in Home.   I too have done this in XP Pro, but I am reluctant to explain how to do this to inexperienced users, especially if they don't even bother to mention whether they have XP Home or XP Pro and whether or not there is really a need to share folders other than than the Shared Docuements folder. 

Steve

No Events found!