Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 28th, 2015 17:00

windows 8.1 and motorola 5100 cable modem

shouldnt windows find a new device such as a cable modem when u plug say a USB cable connectedd to modem into my laptop ?? or ethernet cable?

i use a wifi router to access internet , which does go through that modem. i been having a problem with one certain program, so was gonna trouble shoot by bypassing the router.. but when i plug into modem direct nothing happens, wont detect either through control panel. the CD that came with modem wont work with windows 8. the script fails or whatever..

1.8K Posts

June 30th, 2015 12:00

Hi,

How old is that modem?  I went looking for the user manual to check settings, etc. for you to try and it looks like it's a DOCSIS 2.0 based modem.  Is there a newer version that is DOCSIS 3.0 compatible that you're using?

The documentation I did find shows that the modem is only compatible with Windows up through XP.  So unless there is a firmware update for that modem, a recent one, that upgrades the firmware to be compatible with Windows 8, I'm not sure how everything will work.

In general, to answer your question, yes, Windows will communicate with a modem it is attached to, request and receive an IP address so it can communicate with the modem, and it all should be automatic. Shouldn't matter whether it's wireless, USB, or ethernet connection.   But, as I said, not sure how it would work, if it even will work, with such an older modem.  

Let me know if I'm looking at the documentation for the wrong modem, and if so, please send me a link to the correct modem and it's specs.  I'll see what I can do to help you.

Todd

371 Posts

July 1st, 2015 05:00

Hey Todd, thx for looking. i was hoping someone would prove me wrong. because ive looked lots and lots, and it is not compatible with windows 8. (or 8.1 which im using) i was able to find it through Device Manager when i had it hooked up. but windows cannot find a driver for it. i have it hooked up to my XP desktop, with a Wifi router, which i access from my laptop. i just assumed (duh) that since it was working through that way , that it was compatible. but as we both know, i was wrong.

thx Todd for trying...  :)

No Events found!