Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2010 11:00

Delivery Delays and Customer Support

Well I have just ordered my last Dell consumer product. I understand inventory shortages, but whoever is in charge of the sales projections should be fired. The 3 turned to 4 week delivery of a basic laptop was bad enough, but then it turned into 5 weeks. Now there is no way it is going to make that date with which is the 18th as it has not even shipped yet and has a 5 to 7 day delivery. So I expect I will get another email Monday morning asking for my patience once more. I ordered this laptop on the 12th of December with an expected ship date stated on the site of the 22nd. Then I received an estimated delivery date of January 11th. This in turn changed to January 18th. Dell you might as well remove the estimated delivery date and just put: IT WILL GET THERE WHEN IT GETS THERE AND NOT ANY SOONER.

So after not seeing the item status on the web site change from in production to shipped, I call the support center twice the first week of January. This is where Dell really lost me. What a complete exercise in futility. The guy tells me that my order status is in production. No kidding. That information is about as worthless as it gets.  They can’t give you any information, like when it will actually ship. Or even why it is being held up. Anything but all they do is read back to you what you already see on the web site. IN PRODUCTION; I don’t mind delays, but when it is an open ended delay that is different. So Dell you might as well close down the order status call center and just put up an voice message that repeats what is listed on your web site. Only take a few bucks to implement as the only thing that will be different between customers is your order is in production or your order has shipped. You would be able to save the money and invest in actually having some inventory on hand.

While I could go on and write another 4 or 5 pages on more issues like the email request I sent into the order status line and how it took them 5 days to respond when the Dell site states, you will get a response within 24 hours. Dell you may also want to change that line to an estimated number also.

So my advice to anyone thinking on ordering a dell laptop is.

·         Dell’s estimated arrival date could vary by a month or so.

·         Don’t bother calling the order status number. Waste of time as they will just read to you what you can already see on the web.

·         Don’t both sending an email to the support site as you will just get the exact same response as stated on the web.

Dell a little bit of advice. While keeping your inventory low is a valid cost saving tactic, there is the point where you will do nothing but lose customers due to shipping delays. This will affect the bottom line more in the long run than keeping a bit more inventories on hand.

I recommend and build a couple dozen systems a year for friends and family. I will not be recommending a Dell until I see that Dell has fixed these issues. Decent systems there Dell, but very poor service.   

Scott

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 12th, 2010 17:00

Sorry to hear about that.

January 12th, 2010 20:00

You think you got it bad?  I'm still waiting on an order from Nov 17th!

54 Posts

January 14th, 2010 11:00

Scott, I’m sorry to see how frustrating this has been for you. Obviously, this is not representative of the type of service we strive for. Given the situation, I can understand why you made the decisions you did. At this point, I’ll be glad to cancel the order if you placed it. I’ll just need your order number to do so.

January 14th, 2010 14:00

I don't blame Scott for being frustrated. I am also frustrated since I placed my order on November 26, 2009 and I am still waiting.  Instead of the people at Dell jumping to cancel orders, they should try to fix this.

3 Posts

January 14th, 2010 15:00

Scott -

I have had the same issue as you and many others.  I heard the horror stories before I bought and decided to anyway.  Big mistake! I was actually pleasantly surprised when my original order of an XPS 9000 arrived only a week late on Dec 19 when I placed the order at the end of November.  However,  The computer was damaged either at the dell packaging facility or during delivery, so I had to send it back. 

I was told my replacement would be a "rush" order and I would receive it on the 31st of Dec or earlier.  I have yet to receive an updated shipping date and the replacement is still in production!  You are right on with the futility of trying to get any information from the call center.  I don't even know why they have one!  I called in the  first time and they said they would send an email to see what the delay was for and to get an estimated delivery date for me and to call back in 24-48 hrs.  I called back 3 days later and after 20 minutes (at least) I finally was able to talk to someone and they saw that an email was sent, but hadn't received a response.  So I'm told to call back again.  How many hours of my life do I have to waste trying to figure out what is going on?!?  I don't know any other company that has no idea when they will be able to ship something to you.  At the very least they will say the product is backordered and may not be available for 3 months ect, AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE.  Not give you some absolutely bogus and false delivery date.  I would wager Dells estimated delivery dates at checkout are inaccurate 90% of the time or more.  Why do they even have them? 

I will not be surprised if it is 8 weeks or more before I get a working computer.

At this point I may decide to return the system.  I have been told I can't cancel once it is in production, but if this is possible, that is something I would also be interested in Lisa G.

3 Posts

January 14th, 2010 15:00

Lisa G

I have been told it is impossible to cancel or modify an order once in production and that your only option is to return the product once you receive it.  Is this true?

468 Posts

January 14th, 2010 16:00

Dell has the ability to cancel any order as long as it has not been shipped.  They tell you they can't because they dont want to loose the money you have invested in their product.  Take it this way, when you place the order, it can take 48 hours for it to even get to the assembly plant where the computer is built and even by then, it hasn't been physically started yet, but the computers will say 'in production'.  As long as the order is not physically shipped, you have ever right to cancel.  Also, if you are in the US, Dell by law (from other posts i've read), has to inform you of a delay that will cause your order to not be shipped within 30 days of order and you have to approve it.

Regardless, this is happenening all up and down their product line.

108 Posts

Scott, I’m sorry to see how frustrating this has been for you. Obviously, this is not representative of the type of service we strive for. Given the situation, I can understand why you made the decisions you did. At this point, I’ll be glad to cancel the order if you placed it. I’ll just need your order number to do so.

If you check the forum, you will find a few other threads addressing these same issues.  They seem to affect only certain systems.  The XPS 8000 has been a prime example, a thread started in November and is still going strong, with over 1,000 replies.  Some people ordered their computers in November and are still seeing delays.  Calls, emails and chats to customer service simply get you replies that are what any of us can see under order status.  It is like Dell doesn't want to tell the customer service people the truth because then it could become public that Dell sold a computer it didn't have the parts to build, even after they knew they planned to discontinue the model.  The XPS 8000 was discontinued on 12/31/09  and replaced on 1/7/10 with the XPS 8100, but is being offered again today (1/14/10) as the Signature Event for today and tomorrow. 

If you have the ability to cancel an order that shows "in production", then you are a person a lot of people want to know. The standard reply everyone gets is that you can't cancel an order "in production" unless it has been delayed twice, then FTC regulations require Dell to offer you the chance to cancel. Even then, if you don't reply in 24 hours, they continue "in production", although their email tells you that it will be cancelled if you don't reply.

2 Posts

My order was placed on December 16 - I don't even HAVE an estimated shipping date. It has said "Data Temporarily Unavailable" the entire time.

I have contacted Dell support about a dozen times; no one ever gives me even a guess at when I can expect my machine. I get an email every once in a while to let me know that there isn't anything to know. I've even tried the "unresolved customer service issues" form - no response.

The best part is that isn't even an order I placed - this is a replacement system for my XPS machine that was covered under Next-Business-Day Complete Care Service and stopped working back in November. A Dell technician tried to fix it twice and failed, then told me I'd have a replacement machine within a week or two. Apparently they don't make that model anymore and they've decided to replace it  with an Alienware system which they obviously don't have in stock. I can't even cancel the order and go elsewhere, I just have to wait.

So fair warning to all: don't think that if you ever get your machine your nightmare is over! If anything goes wrong, "Next Day Service" actually means "we might send you an entirely different machine, after several weeks of jerking you around.  Maybe."

This Alienware machine better be good, as it's clearly the last Dell machine I'll ever own.

54 Posts

January 15th, 2010 13:00

Sorry for the delay in responding, been away from my desk. Send me a private message w/the order number and I'll take a look at it for you.

54 Posts

January 15th, 2010 14:00

It is Dell's policy to not cancel orders after they become (IP) In Production. However, due to the delayed order situation, if a customer has had their order delayed multiple times, we will cancel it for them. Mind you, even canceling the order does not always guarantee it won't be shipped depending on the production stage of which the system's  are in manufacturing.

Lisa

2 Posts

January 15th, 2010 16:00

I too ordered a laptop on November 29th 2009, it was to be a Christmas present and that is now past. I have purchased many top dollar things from Dell such as a 42 inch HD tv, a laptop, a desk top computer a few cameras. I have researched the many items bought and future items to be purchased and am very disappointed with Dell at this time. I have never received emails from companies I am trying to purchase items from asking if I still want the item. I have received 3 emails saying if I do not respond within 24 hours my request will be cancelled. I guess it is a good thing I check my email every day including New Year's day. I do not want this cancelled, I want the laptop I ordered almost 2 months ago.

I feel this is the new way to do the old bait and switch. I bypassed many laptops and offers during the holidays because I thought Dell's was the best but now I want my laptop. I did see where the CFO made a statement about when he first started this company with "an unprecedented idea — to build relationships directly with customers." (this is a quote from his comments). maybe the little people are not the customers he means.

I am tired of being frustrated with "in production" and customer service can not even say where in production it is, at the beginning or the middle or almost done?

I will repeat I want this laptop. So anyone at Dell that can make this happen very soon? I would greatly appreciate it. 

2 Posts

January 16th, 2010 08:00

I only get emails and on holidays also but no phone calls, but the funny thing is after I put my comment on the blog I received another extended date, sure hope it was not because I voiced my opinion, it really is too bad in this ecoonomy when people aren't buing big ticket items that we can not even get what we want or need in a reasonable time frame. 2 or 3 months later and we are still being told soon.

I wonder how many of the upper executives read this or are told about the unhappy customers there really are in the Dell community?

8 Posts

What I think Dell needs to do is just not accept any more orders for computers until they can get the ones they already owe people shipped. The sales department is so eager to make numerous sales to the consumer; however, the building and shipping department can only offer a cancellation. This sounds how HP works!! I placed my order on 16 November 2009 with the hopes of it arriving in time for my wife's birthday on 15 December; however, that is when the never ending supply of delays came in. I would think that Dell should be able to provide a better delivery date which is closer to the truth than just constantly updating the delay every 4-6 days. This becomes a pain because now I have to take time out of my busy schedule to confirm a delay or be cancelled. People have jobs and the automated delayed confirmation call always comes in the middle of the day when no one is obviously home to receive the call. Changing this to after 5pm CST might actually get the call answered.

8 Posts

Me too!! I am waiting on mine that I ordered on Nov 16th 2009.

No Events found!