Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2009 08:00

Dimension4600-RAM upgrade

Originally I had 512MB RAM in DIMM1and DIMM2.

I just added 2-1GB in DIMM3 and DIMM4 since I was afraid of messing up my system.

My PC system shows 2.5 GB of RAM.

Now I am wondering if I should use DIMM1 and DIMM2 for 1GB in terms of faster PC operation.

Please teach me whether it's worth opening the case( I hesitate to open it) and swap the position of modules.

Thanks.

4.4K Posts

January 10th, 2009 12:00

I ran unofficial performance tests on the 4600 when it was my primary computer at work, with 512 MB, 1 GB and 2 GB, and I saw no increases in speed of any program whatsoever with more memory.  In fact, it was a bit slower with the 2 GB setup.  Go figure.  If you run a bunch of programs at once then more memory will help things run smoothly.  Otherwise, not much benefit, but at least memory is quite cheap these days.  :emotion-5:

4.4K Posts

No need to open and swap positions, will make no difference.  Glad to hear all memory is recognized and working in this older workhorse.  I still use a 4600 myself regularly with 1 GB of memory, which is plenty for most users unless you're heavily into gaming or video editing.

2 Posts

Thank you very much for your response. I haven't been feeling much faster working speed  than before.

That is the reason I asked question about the position of modules...

As you mentioned, I think it is not so important have 2GB since I do very basic things with my PC.

The reason I got 1 GBx2 is Dell recommended to have paired of matched memory. 

Anyway, thank you!!!

No Events found!