Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2012 11:00

Horror Story- Dell Outlet

I have had such a terrible time trying to buy from the Dell Outlet store- has anyone else had the same experience?

I originally bought a desktop off of the "New" section of the Dell Outlet store (there are 3 sections- Refurbished, Scratch and Dent, and New- follow this link for more info: http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/d/campaigns/why-dell-outlet-usdfh).  I received the desktop and it wasn't working, so I had to return it.

I decided to buy a laptop instead, after weighing my options.  I again bought off of the "New" section of the Dell Outlet Store.  I received the laptop and noticed right away that it the top was all scratched up.  After plugging it in, I discovered that the AC Power Adapter didn't work and would not charge the battery.  I called Customer Service and spoke to Technical Support.  They had me try a few things and told me that the AC Power Adapter or the prong that it plugs into was faulty and offered to send me a new one.  I explained that the top was also scratched and that I was not interested in keeping the machine.  Technical Support transferred me to Returns who transferred me again.  One rep told me that I would be responsible for a restocking fee of 15% if I returned the item.  I explained that the item was not as advertised and he argued with me.  After 2 hours on the phone, I spoke to at least 10 different people and was disconnected twice.  Nobody ever called me back and I know that they had my phone number because they verified it with me at least 10 different times!  I kept explaining to the reps that I bought the laptop from the "New" section and they kept telling me that EVERYTHING on the Dell Outlet is refurbished.  However, the link above clearly states that "Dell Outlet New systems are PCs and enterprise products that were canceled orders, or systems that shipped out to a customer who decided to return the system without ever using it. Dell Outlet New systems do not have any cosmetic damages."  Nobody ever offered to replace the item and I finally spoke to a rep that processed the return and sent me labels to return the laptop. 

The next day, I went on the Sales Chat and asked the rep about the "New" section of the Outlet store.  They explained that the website is correct and that items listed on the "New" section were NEVER plugged in and do NOT have any cosmetic damages.  I have an email of my discussion with them as proof.  So, I decided to call Customer Service again and see what they could do.  I spoke to 2 people and they had the replacement processed within 20 minutes.  They, too, assured me that the items from the "New" section are as described on the website and apologized for the inconvenience.  They told me that they would send a replacement that was the same or better.  I was extremely happy and even asked to speak to a supervisor to tell him how helpful the rep was. 

A few days later, I received the replacement.  It had a green refurbished sticker on it and had much less features than the original one that I purchased!!!  I called customer service and was again transferred to about 5 different reps and a supervisor and was disconnected once!  Again, I was told that everything on the outlet store is refurbished.  I finally had to just return the laptop and cancel the order!!!

I have never dealt with such an inept group of individuals and been told so many different things.  So, which is it?!  Is the "New" section on the Outlet Store new or not?!  Is Dell trying to trick buyers into thinking that they are buying new items when they are actually used or refurbished?!  Do any of Dell's reps actually know what they are doing?!  Does Dell not realize that they are losing customers left and right over their ridiculous customer service?!

I would be curious to know if others have had the same experience that I did?

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

February 8th, 2012 18:00

The only problem I had with Dell outlet was the issue of delaying the shipment of my item by a week.  I was given the option to cancel which I did.  Dell outlet 'NEW' is supposed to be items that were never used.  By most laws, they cannot sell an item they built, shipped, and had returned as new, but outlet new is o.k.  If the items you recieved were refurbished or damaged, Dell shouldn't be giving you any problems in returning the items for what you paid for.  On another note, refurbished items are like new products that have no blemishes and have been fully tested and are generally a few bucks cheaper then outlet new items.  Regardless, I would take my money elsewhere if I experienced what you did.  On another note, while I have never bought an outlet 'new' item before (I normally buy refurbished), it is possible there is some rule or law that forces dell to put a refurbished sticker on the item even if it wasn't ever turned on, else why not just sell it at the new price on the main site?  Just a thought.

to answer your questions directly, I doubt dell is trying to trick anyone into anything.  From my experiences there are many facets of dell and sometimes they dont all communicate with eachother properly.  Dell's reps are generally outsourced to another country and while they represent dell, they are not dell.  Most of the time they just read from a script and have software that troubleshoots problems for them.  They are unfortunetly not paid to think outside of the box most times.  As for dell loosing customers, dell IMHO has made it somewhat clear they are transforming into a business only company in the future, so I dont think it matters if they hemmorage home users or not.

3 Posts

February 9th, 2012 11:00

I had three computers sent from the dell outlet two of them had a problem. The first two was no green sticker and was from the dell outlet new and had a label on the outside of the box saying the same. The third one had a green refurbished sticker on it and on the box outside label saying refurbished also.

If they don't care much about the home users they should stop selling for home users and just make if for business since that’s all they care about.  It’s not fair for the home user to get no help and then they cater to business customers.  

beamermt79 Thanks for the reply.

No Events found!