Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2011 13:00

How do I cancel or modify an order?

Last night I ordered a laptop online and realized I selected the wrong processor.  I called Dell that night while my order was still "in process" to modify the order and was told that the order department was closed and that I should call in the morning.  I told the representative that the information online indicated that orders could only be cancelled while "in process" and I didn't want to lose my opportunity to change the order.  The representative ASSURED me that this wouldn't be a problem and I could just call in the morning.

I called this morning at 9:01 am (1 minute after the order department opened) and was informed that my order had gone into "production" over night and I can't modify or cancel it.  This is absurd because I laid out this problem for Dell in a timely fashion and explained their own policies to them in advance, anticipating precisely this issue, and was incorrectly told it wouldn't be a problem.  Has anyone experienced anything like this or figured out how to cancel an "in production" order?  No representative I have spoken with over the phone can do anything more than read from her script.

1 Message

July 2nd, 2011 03:00

I'm in a similar situation, someone please provide us advice.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2011 03:00

The links I have are...

Change/Cancel Your Order with Dell

Can I cancel my order?

Rick

4 Posts

July 2nd, 2011 10:00

Unfortunately, these are the links I read the evening I purchased the computer, and I communicated these policies to the Dell employee who took my call that evening while my order was "in process".  The employee told me that the orders department was closed and if I called in the morning it would be no problem at all.  This was after I expressly told the person that I needed to talk to someone while my order was still "in process" and not "in production" according to their posted policies.  The Dell employee lied... my order went into "production" over night and the orders department refused to make any changes when I called as soon as they opened the next day.

July 2nd, 2011 11:00

I replied to your post yesterday but my post was deleted by dell.  So I post this again as dell does not want customers to know.

"Good luck with getting your full money back.

I orderded a laptop online in begin of June this year, called customer service right after the order went through. Talked to their sale rep, got connect to sales department right away. I asked the sales rep to add an upgrade feature to the laptop, he told me to wait until my order arrive then return it, then re-order. He assured that there'll be no fee for the return. He even emailed me with the estimates of my new order. It didn't make any sense, so I called customer service again to request cancel order. They transferred me to 4-5 different people, then claimed that their system was down so they cannot make the request. They told me to call back in a "couple hours". I called back in 2 hours, they told me the same thing, I kept calling back every 2 hours. After multiple times called back, they told me it's too late to cancel my order, it's already out...they told me to accept my order when it arrives, then call them for information to return.

I got the laptop about a week later, called customer service for return info, they emailed the tracking number and instructions to return. On their email, there was nowhere that they mentioned there would be a fee for return. I printed out the return address, and took it to UPS the next morning. 3 weeks later, I got a refund to my credit card. It's $108.79 less than the amount they originally charged to my account.

I emailed customer service and asked why it's not a full refund. They emailed me saying they charged 15% for re-stocking fee, and gave me the 800 numbers to call for further assistance. Called the 800 numbers, talked to about 4-5 diffent people again before they transferred me to re-stocking department. They claimed that my reason for return was not because something wrong with the laptop; it's because I don't like that model so they charged me. I told them the whole story again why I need to make a return. I don't think that person really heard what I said, all she did was reading from the script. She said she's from re-stock department so she cannot do anything about it so she tranferred me to customer care...what the heck with customer care?!!! They transferred me again to 4-5 different people again, then finally got to cancel/return department. Guess what they told me this time, "sorry our system is down, please call back in a couple hours".

"

As you see, if you have inquires about purchasing dell products you'll get customer service attention right away.  If you inquire about cancel your orders, their system is either down or your order was already shipped.  Sound familiar?

4 Posts

July 2nd, 2011 15:00

Great.... that's not encouraging.  They told me I wouldn't have to pay any restocking or shipping fees.  I get the sense that the people in the orders department have no authority to do anything at all related to orders, or even to communicate with other dell employees.  It's really obnoxious.

9.4K Posts

July 5th, 2011 11:00

Hi bbibs434,

Thanks for contacting me privately, sorry that you had problems with your ordering experience. 

Did you get my private message to you?  Were you able to get resolution at the number I gave you?

Regards,
Robert

4 Posts

July 5th, 2011 13:00

Thanks for your response, Robert.  Unfortunately that number took me to the same people I had already talked to, and they claim to be powerless.

9.4K Posts

July 6th, 2011 05:00

Thanks for your response, Robert.  Unfortunately that number took me to the same people I had already talked to, and they claim to be powerless.

That's very strange, I've never had that team refuse to cancel an order.  Please respond to my private message.  Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

This Post has been Locked due to age.  If you have a similar question, please post it on the Customer Care Board.  Thanks.

No Events found!