Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 12th, 2010 11:00

Removing McAfee Security Centre to install Symantec Norton 360

I have just bought an XPS Studio 8000 computer which has come with McAfee Security Centre pre-installed. I have another 2 computers which are running Symantec Norton 360. I have 3 licences for the Norton and I wish to remove the McAfee whenever its nearing its renewal date and install the remaining Norton licence. Has anyone tried this, if so how did you get on, and are there any pitfalls?

29 Posts

March 12th, 2010 15:00

You can call McAfee customer support.  They will tell you how to get your Security Center registered and how to remove it.  Using the uninstall feature on the control panel list of programs will not do it properly.  I found them to be quite helpful.

6 Posts

March 15th, 2010 05:00

I called McAfee. They were great. This forum is the tops. I have had so much help, that I am now more confident in asking any question on any subject. Thanks all.

11 Posts

There shouldn't be any issues with uninstalling mcafee, unless you forgot the username and password. You can try to uninstall it from control panel-add remove programs. If that doesn't work run the removal tool located here http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe. Then install Norton. Let me know how it goes :)

6 Posts

Thank you for the info. I do not know the username or password for McAfee as it came pre-installed. I am sounding out the Forum in case there are some problems in trying to remove it. I will attempt a removal later, in the meantime thank you

19 Posts

March 14th, 2010 14:00

Yes, this is great. Thanks for posting because I want to do the same thing... I uninstalled McAfee using the control panel. But when you said... I did as you instructed... what did you do? Use the webaddress given to you or called McAfee? Thanks,

6 Posts

Thank you very much. I did as you suggested and it worked. This has been my first posting on any Forum and it has paid off handsomely. I appreciate what you have said, and your comments will help me to help others who may find themselves in a similar situation.

29 Posts

buzzout---I called McAfee customer service and they emailed instructions.  If you have any problems you can call them to help.  As I said, they were most helpful.

19 Posts

March 14th, 2010 15:00

Thank you.   Don't understand why one can't just uninstall from control panel... but these programs are terrible once installed.   I have already removed it by using the control panel you would think this would be enough but you have to call and wait for a tech to get it done.   Jeez!

24 Posts

March 15th, 2010 10:00

I just did the same 2 days ago on a Inspiron e1705 with Win 7. It was suggested on the Norton 360 forum to download the new 360 v4 to my desktop first and then I removed McAfee Security Suite and all its parts through "uninstall programs". I then used the McAfee removel tool and I was told to do it a couple of times. I kept getting an "incomplete cleanup" message so I finally chatted with McAfee support and they said that this may happen but it was ok. I then installed my downloaded Norton 360v4 and inserted my subscription key number when prompted and it installed without a problem. I also immediately updated it and it has been working just great. Hope this helps.

6 Posts

March 15th, 2010 11:00

A big thanks to all of you. You have helped me tremendously. Credit also to McAfee for all their input.

:emotion-1:

No Events found!