Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2008 10:00

XPS 400 Drive Problems

I reinstalled a different version of Windows XP on my XPS400, and all the drivers on the website for Ethernet and audio don't work.  I need to have those drivers in order to use my computer, can anyone tell me why perhaps they don't work.  Even the chipset drivers don't work. 

I also have a dead pixle on my screen. Will dell replace that even though my warranty is over?  Thanks

3.4K Posts

November 16th, 2008 11:00

Hello,

No problems.

Dell systems need to be installed in the correct order or you will have problems. I will list the order below with links to all the files that you will need. Make sure that you install the "system software" and 'chipset" in safe mode.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
Currently, the DSS and NSS are not required for systems with Windows Vista installed. This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
9. Other Devices
* Bluetooth Module
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

8 Posts

November 19th, 2008 18:00

Still doesn't work.  I'm pretty sure the drivers they have on the site are wrong.  Even with Windows XP SP2 full, the drivers won't install.  They just pop up and close without anything happening.  The Sound and the Ethernet drivers won't work.  I even tried the order, still nothing.  I need htis ocmputer to work, and its an inconvience for me that dell has decided to make it impossible ot reformat their built computers. 

8 Posts

November 19th, 2008 19:00

hey!

No..didn't think it was neccessary. So should i reformat and try all over again or just start in safe mode and execute? Also should my interent driver come up automatically after installation or do i have to set it up?

Thanks for the help =]

3.4K Posts

November 19th, 2008 19:00

Hi again,

You installed the first two files in 'safe mode'?

8 Posts

November 19th, 2008 20:00

I tried strarting in safe mode and the first two drivers worked. But once i got to the NIC, it unzipped succesfuly but when it executed it just dissappeared and acted like nothing happened. I ignored it and went on to install the other drivers...the video driver worked fine but the sound driver gave me an error when i tried to install that said "Setup is unable to detct a supported product on your system. Please ensure that your product is properly installed before running this setup program. Setup will exit." So basically, my internet and sound still don't work and i dont know what to do anymore....help plz =]

thanks again for trying and replying!

3.4K Posts

November 19th, 2008 20:00

Hi again,

No need to format.

Just do as the list I posted says. Install the first two files in safe mode, restart and then install the rest of your drivers.

8 Posts

November 19th, 2008 21:00

oh and i also found the cd for my sound driver so i think i got that working finally....the one from the website never worked though....just letting you know!

3.4K Posts

November 20th, 2008 05:00

Hello again,

Do you have a NIC card, or is it on the motherboard? Either way tell us anything that you know about it. Name, model, anything.

Is this the driver <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> your trying to install?

8 Posts

November 20th, 2008 13:00

No i dont think i have a NIC card. The cable runs into the motherboard. Its for the xps 400, ummm....theres a sticker on the motherboard that has this serial or something: CN-0YC523-70821-5BT-F0HS. Like i said, i installed the chipset and the DSS in safe mode...i got the sound to work because of a cd i found...idk much more. If you need any more info i'll be happy to look for you. thanks!

By the way, i tried that driver several times...thats the one that disappears once i execute the setup.

8 Posts

November 20th, 2008 14:00

also is there like a quicker way i can get to you? lol its a little tedious going back and forth between the forums. if you have aim or email...basically something that i can use to contact you faster would be great! Calling Dell is a waste of time so I'm relying on you! Thanks again!

3.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2008 11:00

also is there like a quicker way i can get to you? lol its a little tedious going back and forth between the forums. if you have aim or email...basically something that i can use to contact you faster would be great! Calling Dell is a waste of time so I'm relying on you! Thanks again!

Hello again,

No, I don't answer Dell questions except here. Sorry :emotion-31:

3.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2008 11:00

Hello,

Once again, did you install the NIC file I linked to in the previous answer after you installed the DSS and chipset files?

8 Posts

November 23rd, 2008 22:00

Hi!

Well, I tried everything you told me. I tried the driver you specifically sent me. I tried in the exact order you sent. I tried reformatting with a different version of windows. I tried everything. If you need more info...the only other thing i could tell you is that the network adapter doesnt show up in the device manager. Like on the laptop im using, the network adapter has a green chip icon but on my xps 400 there is no such adapter at all. Umm, the connection is on the motherboard itself, there is no card. Its like this silver box thats attatched to my motherboard. There is an orange bulb that glows and when its connected to my computer, the little port glows orange but still no adapter. IDK what else to try....any thing else you can think of?

Thanks again!

3.4K Posts

November 24th, 2008 05:00

Hello again,

Look in the BIOS settings and make sure that the integrated NIC is set to "On".

Otherwise the only option left is to buy and install a PCI network card.

Seemingly the onboard NIC is dead.

1 Message

May 2nd, 2009 17:00

I have the same problem, same computer XPS 400, i reformatted my hard drive because I had installed Vista on it.  I had so many problems with Vista, i reformatted the drive and installed XP back on it and i have no sound now.   I was not aware that I had to install the DSS and Chipset and then the rest of the drivers in that order.  I tried the safe mode and installed the DSS, rebooted back into the safemode, and then installed the chipset, and no joy, still no sound.  I guess I have a couple of questions and thanks in advance for any and all help.  I have spent days on trying to fix this problem.

1.  When in the safemode, prior to running the DSS, do i need to first uninstall all of the other drivers (nic/video/audio, etc) first?

2.  After running the DSS, do i need to reboot back into the safemode, then load the chipset? 

I dont know if this will help, but here are the details of my system:

Operating System   System Model
Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)   Dell Inc. Dell DXP051
System Service Tag:
Chassis Serial Number:
Enclosure Type: Tower
Processor a   Main Circuit Board b
2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium D
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
  Board: Dell Inc. 0FJ030
Serial Number:
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Inc. A07 01/08/2007
Drives   Memory Modules c,d
315.04 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
299.02 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B [CD-ROM drive]
TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H352C [CD-ROM drive]

TOSHIBA TransMemory USB Device [Hard drive] (1.03 GB) -- drive 1
WDC WD3200KS-75PFB0 [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0
  3328 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_1' has 1024 MB (serial number DF32FAE1)
Slot 'DIMM_3' has 1024 MB (serial number DF32FAE3)
Slot 'DIMM_2' has 1024 MB (serial number DF32FAE4)
Slot 'DIMM_4' has 1024 MB (serial number DF32FAFD)

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 315.04 GB 299.02 GB free

Network Drives

None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details)   Printers
local user accounts last logon
 Administrator 5/2/2009 5:45:41 PM (admin)
 John B 5/2/2009 6:09:46 PM (admin)
local system accounts
 ASPNET never
 Guest never
 HelpAssistant never
 SUPPORT_388945a0 never

DISABLED Marks a disabled account;   LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account
  None detected
Controllers   Display
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
  NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (22.0"vis, s/n HVCP104254, January 2007)
Bus Adapters   Multimedia
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC
  ATI Unified AVStream Driver
Creative SB X-Fi
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
Communications   Other Devices
Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem

Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection