Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2017 06:00

Dell R910 QPI Path Operating at Half Width

I attempted to update the CPU's in my R910 last night from the current 4x Intel X7560 to 4x E7-4870 CPU's. when I installed the CPU's I received the "QPI Operating in Half Width" error between CPU 1 and 4. I swapped CPU's from 1 to 3 and then the error changed and said the QPI connection had failed between 3 and 4. My thought was that maybe there were some bent pins in socket 4, so I checked the pins with my phone and the camera zoom feature and they all appeared to be fine. When I placed the old CPU's back in the system they worked fine as well. So do I possibly have a bad CPU? 

5 Posts

May 1st, 2017 06:00

My service tag information is below.

Service Tag:  ((Removed by Moderator))

5 Posts

May 1st, 2017 09:00

Thanks for the response, I'll check the CPU's in pairs and report back. No, there has been no change in the memory configuration.

• 

8.5K Posts

May 1st, 2017 09:00

You can test the processors in pairs. Take the server to

•Two Processors

and

•Two DDR3 RDIMMs in Slots 1 and 2 of Memory Riser_A

Test each processor in successive pairs to see if one is failed.

Has there been any change in the memory?

5 Posts

May 1st, 2017 11:00

I had an extra test R910 which I was able to place these CPU's into. It looks like taking it down to two CPU's I was able to determine which CPU was bad. Now I just have to find a replacement. Thanks for your help and pointing me in the right direction.

5 Posts

May 1st, 2017 11:00

I was so afraid that I had bent a pin in one of the sockets previously. I spent a couple hours pouring over every socket on the board.

No Events found!