Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 31st, 2019 06:00

3010, CPU upgrade, won't start

Hello,

I have an Dell Optiplex 3010 with i3-3220 from factory, I wanted to upgrade to something more powerfull, decided that i5-3550 is the choice, since the computer can support that.

Bought the cpu, installed it, but when I press the power on button, orange light turns on for 1 second, cpu fan spins up and nothing else happens, it just turna off. When I press the power check button, on the back of PC, the green light turns on, that means that with power everything is ok. Installed a beeper/buzzer and it doesn't do anything. Updated bios to A22 (latest ones I found) and that didn't do anything. How do I solve this?20190531_151900.jpg

20190531_164951.jpg

20190531_164958.jpg

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

May 31st, 2019 08:00

3010 what?, what PC case is this. 5 possible PC this is and they are NOT all the same.

MT, DT, SFF, USFF, All-in-one  

if CPU has working Heat sink and fan. or it will overheat in seconds flat !!!

seems to me bad CPU.

bought used on fleabay?

or worse those china conversions "there" that take wrong CPU and re- label the top, ovbious to me, show photos?

if the bios screens are dead, then you cant see to go in and reset bios to defaults.

I just did 3020 with max  cpu, no issues.

first make sure watts is not violated (CPU to MOBO spec watts max CPU) mine was 84watts but more if I got the taller finned HS, DELL fan.

your new CPU is 77watts max, so is ok. I guess.

do the cold power on reset trick yet, first?

AC cable, off

push power button for 10 seconds, release

wait say 1/2 hour max. (let caps discharge to 0volts)

now AC cable back test, it.?>

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 31st, 2019 10:00

Solid Orange power button = dead cpu or motherboard.

If putting the old cpu back does not resolve this you broke something.

Green Light on the back only indicates AC input is there.

Motherboard Amber LED indicates 5vSB is available.

NEITHER LED indicates good power supply or CPU.

3 Posts

May 31st, 2019 11:00

Honestly, I know a lot about custom built PC's, did about 30 builds, but nothing about prebuilt dell pc's, so I can't tell which 3010 it is haha.

20190531_213102.jpg

My first thought, even when I just first saw the cpu, that the cpu will be dead. I was right. Apparently it was in working condition before, but the way it was packaged is just too funny, this is not the way you ship computer components, unless it's ssd, which is pretty reliable.

All I can say, I will try those things that you suggested, if nothing works out - I will get an refund. Thank you for your helpfull input.

3 Posts

May 31st, 2019 11:00

Yes, my thoughts were the same that cpu is broken, since with other one it's working perfectly fine, though it coulded be power issue, though I very doubted that, that is the issue. Thank you for your input.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

June 1st, 2019 18:00

I signed out so I could see your photos.  (Just one of the glitches this interface has.)  You have a mini tower, or MT for short.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

June 1st, 2019 18:00

In case needed for future reference, please see photo.  (It'll show up after approved by a moderator.)  Knowing the size speeds troubleshooting as different sizes have different components.

The first post in this forum also references sizes.

s-l300.jpg

No Events found!