Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

September 12th, 2018 15:00

3010, with third party SATA III controller

I am trying to use this controller with a Samsung 860 Evo MSATA SSD with BIOS A19.

GLOTRENDS 3 in 1 M.2 and mSATA SSD Adapter Card for M.2 NVME and AHCI to PCI-E, M.2 SATA-Based SSD to SATA, mSATA to SATA (PA06)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07954WVSB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

According to Glotrends, this card acts like a SATA III controller when an MSATA drive is installed.  

When the 960 Evo is mounted on a 2.5 carrier and connected to the motherboard SATA II port, it's recognized and boots Windows 7 (64bit).  But if moved to the card, the bios does not see the drive.

Thanks,

Mike.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 13th, 2018 07:00

Sata and PCI-E NVME are not interchangeable. The card allows 3 different interfaces.  It DOES NOT convert SATA to PCI-E.  Thats why there are 2 SATA Connectors to go from the board to the motherboard sata controller.  NVME PCI-E has to have GPT UEFI boot support in bios.

The 3010 DOES NOT HAVE an X4 slot for PCI-E NVME booting.

You cannot wish features into older hardware.

MSATA NVME AND PCI-EMSATA NVME AND PCI-E

NVME KEYINGNVME KEYING

2 Posts

September 13th, 2018 11:00

So what SATA III 3rd party card would you suggest?

Thanks,

Mike.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 13th, 2018 12:00

I thought I read (on similar card) that when using with SATA SSD, you have to connect external power on edge.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 14th, 2018 04:00

There is no such thing as PCI-E UEFI booting on 3rd party card unless the Motherboard Bios understands PCI-E NVME.  This is not a feature that can be added.  This is the same dilemma that people run into when trying to add Thunderbolt to an older system.  The truth is that this is not an ADD ON feature.  Its either there in the bios and chipset or not.

January 25th, 2019 23:00

►NOTE AS IF THEY WORK ON THE OLD M2 DISCS EQUIPMENT. AND CONNECTED TO PCI, EXPRESS 16. 

IS NOT A PCI-e 1x Connector  :Cool::Cool:

https://youtu.be/9tCRD8_M-KA

No Events found!