Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 22nd, 2018 10:00

5040, GPU upgrade, SFX PSU installed

I have a dell OptiPlex minitower which I was able to cleanly install a 600w SFX Power supply with a 24 pin to 8 pin adapter. I tried installing a few gpus in the pcie x16 slot but none of which would display anything on the screen. I know for sure its booting into windows as I can hear the chimes when it gets to the desktop. The PC does display with a Nvidia GTX 645 which does not require any additional PSU 6-pin/8-pin power. but I've tried about 3-4 other gpus ranging from quadros to a 660ti which both require a 6-pin power connector but cannot get it to display. Seems to me a gpu that requires external power will not work? does anyone have any experience or can guide me into getting the display to work with a stronger video card?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 22nd, 2018 13:00

@Spunky424 wrote:

1. The PC does display with a Nvidia GTX 645 which does not require any additional PSU 6-pin/8-pin power.

2. but I've tried ... a 660ti which both require a 6-pin power connector but cannot get it to display. 

1. Ok, so the PCIe-x16-Slot works, you know what you are doing. :Yes:

2. Providing the card is good ... have you tested the 6-pin PCIe Power Connector for 12volts (with volt-meter or Digital PC-PS Tester)?

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2018 14:00

yes the card is good, I tried them in another system and they displayed just fine. The GPUs have a light on them that is red when a 6-pin is not connected and green when it is connected. fans on them spin up when powered, just nothing on the display output on the dvi, hdmi, and displayport connections on any of the gpus besides the GTX 645.

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2018 14:00

i also tried a larger ATX PSU and got the same thing. no display on a gpu that requires additional 6/8 pin power from the psu. this leads me to below its a setting or a limitation of the motherboard. I was planning on putting a 1060 gtx or a mini 1070 in this system since the psu was upgraded to handle it. any help is appreciated.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 22nd, 2018 18:00

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2018 22:00

the thread you linked gave me an idea and switched the displayport cable to the onboard gpu, and it displayed out. once I installed the dedicated gpu drivers I could then switch the cable back to the 660ti and it displayed out! everythings working as it should! thanks for the help!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 23rd, 2018 12:00

@Spunky424 wrote:

the thread you linked gave me an idea and switched the displayport cable to the onboard gpu, and it displayed out. once I installed the dedicated gpu drivers I could then switch the cable back to the 660ti and it displayed out! everythings working as it should! thanks for the help!

Glad to hear you got it going.

Like I said in other thread, these Optiplex (with IGP) really fight you getting a dedicated GPU working. Apparently, even the newer machines. 

I've sure never seen what you did there, so I'll have to watch for that also.

1 Message

March 7th, 2019 15:00

I have successfully tested an Nvidia GTX1060 Ti (Geforce) mini sized video card (~23 cm in length) in the Dell 5040 mini tower.
The Dell internal PSU (~240 W) can only drive the motherboard and related peripherals but cannot drive the GPU card unfortunately.
Therefore, only the GPU card is driven from an external 600W ATX PSU via a 6pin cable (which is required by the GPU card).

As I know - but I have not official information -  Dell motherboards cannot driven from any larger ATX PSUs due to some pin/signal incompatibility reasons.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 12th, 2019 04:00

The 24 pin connector is 6 or 8 pins on these models and the power supply is tiny about the size of a 200W laptop brick.

1 Message

January 5th, 2021 20:00

can u tell me what u did and what power supply u used I currently have an gtx1650 on the stock power supply and i am wanting to upgrade to a gtx 1060 3gb card? @Spunky424 @speedstep @Tesla1856 @voroshazi 

No Events found!