Mystic78
1 Nickel

7010, Not waking up, black screen

This happened twice in a row to my computers.  Just set up this Dell and the first time it went into sleep it never woke up.  Boots right into sleep mode.  Shutting down completely does not work. Unplugging doesn't work. Changing outlet/power source, cables, taking out battery, nothing works.

Has anyone had this happen?  Is there a fix? I cannot get rid of another computer because of this! It is the strangest thing ever.  I am running Windows 10.

0 Kudos
39 Replies
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

Re: Not Waking Up - Black Screen

When you pulled the battery did you wait at least 5 minutes before putting it back in? Did you pull the power cord and hold down the power button for at least 30 seconds? Before it goes into sleep, are you able to tap F2 or F12 to enter the BIOS or choose a boot option or go into diagnostics? When it is booting do you see the Dell splash screen?  Try the following link for more options.

Also can you please post the exact model number?

https://www.itguyswa.com.au/how-to-fix-a-computer-that-wont-come-out-of-sleep-mode/

https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/computer-boots-into-sleep-standby-mode-643557.html

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
Mary G
5 Iridium

What exact model computer? Is it brand new or used? Did it ever work? We need more info to help. 

Mystic78
1 Nickel

JOcean - I have done everything you mentioned. 

How would I find the model #?  This was a refurbished PC that was given as a gift.  It worked perfectly (as did the other computer) until it went into sleep mode. Now it will not wake up and NOTHING I have done has helped - screen stays black/off, nothing on the monitor.  Boots IMMEDIATELY into sleep mode. 

0 Kudos
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

Is there a tag number on the unit? If so go to Support and type in the tag for the specs on your unit. Do NOT post the tag number in the forum (protect your security).

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
Mystic78
1 Nickel

I think there is a tag unit....going to do what you suggested now...

0 Kudos
Mystic78
1 Nickel

Ok, it is an OptiPlex 7010, if that helps.  I know I am in the Inspiron forum, can a thread be moved?

0 Kudos
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

The moderator can move it and thanks for the model, it helps. Just curious...do you see any light flashing or any beeps?

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
0 Kudos
Mystic78
1 Nickel

No beeps, just the blinking lights on the monitor and computer, as if it was in sleep mode.

Does the fact that the monitor when I first power on, in a box on the top right, blinks "analog" then "digital" and then it goes away?  

0 Kudos
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

Ok found another post on the forum with the same problem and a couple of ideas. It could be a hard drive problem and I found one post where the user replaced the CMOS battery and that cured the problem. As I asked earlier, are you able to tap F2 or F12 and have the system go into the BIOS settings or run diagnostics?

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Optiplex-7010-win-7-64bit-Can-not-wake-com...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dell-optiplex-goes-into-sleep-mode-instead-of-loading-bios...

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
0 Kudos