Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 30th, 2018 22:00

780, compatible with Radeon RX Vega 56?

Hey all,

I was wondering if I could use a amd vega 56 in my old PC I eventually will get a better one but for the time being. Asking because I have one lying in my closet gathering dust would like to put it to use.

367 Posts

August 31st, 2018 16:00

@speedstep wrote:

No.  None of them will Ever Work.

ATI does not support MSDOS VESA video mode 103.

NVIDIA Cards are fine but ATI cards past HD8000 series are not working.

Hmm...

I have personally tried my vega 56 in an Optiplex 780 mostly for kicks and giggles and can definitely say the "none of them will ever work" is not true.

By the way support for MSDOS Vesa 103 is not a problem at all since in my experience with an Optiplex 780 as the BIOS works perfectly fine. (*I have heard this is a problem on the old dells, not the 780 though*) 

But there are few hiccups when running this GPU. For example, for whatever reason, the integrated graphics don't turn off unless you manually do it through the BIOS and via device manager in windows. Additionally for some reason when using a vega with my Optiplex it tends to make virtual monitors which can sometimes make the PC boot into a black screen. Plus, you can't really use a reference Vega 56 (unless you do the jank way like in the photo) as it's way too big to fit inside maybe you can get away with a Vega 56 nano? (*given that you get a powerful PSU because Vega's are absolute power hogs*)

Yet, the particular vega that is laying in @Spamboi666's closet is not described and it probably is not the nano so in that case, it's up to you man to see if you can use it.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 31st, 2018 09:00

No.  None of them will Ever Work.

ATI does not support MSDOS VESA video mode 103.

NVIDIA Cards are fine but ATI cards past HD8000 series are not working.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 7th, 2018 13:00

You do not have this INSIDE a 780.  The power supply even in the mini tower is too small.  Your post telling a user that it works is disinegenous at best and a fire hazard safety problem. The slot is blocked by the heatsink/fan shroud in all models.

The F2 BIOS menu requires DOS VESA mode 103 which the vega does not have.

ASUS EAH 5450 and 6450 cards work in all models. Desktop Models have ZERO Room for Large heatsinks with fans.

Asus Silent HD6450.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121439

You have to literally hack the case and drive carrier to get other cards to fit.  VERY FEW cards fit in smaller cases due to this constraint.  There is a 25w limit for the smaller cases.This limit is absolutely on the SFF model because the Power supply is 220w.    All models can only use 1 slot wide cards. The tower can use bigger cards  but they cannot exceed 8 inches long when they have tall fans.

2011 Low Profile Gaming Graphics Card - Brian's Ski Epic

DESKTOP AND SFF WILL HIT THE HARD DRIVE BRACKET AND NOT GO IN WHEN A large HEATSINK IS ON THE CARD.

The SKI epic solution was to DREMEL OFF THE HARD DRIVE CASE and use tape to hold the drive in. The tower below has an upgraded EVGA 750 B1 power supply.

September 13th, 2018 18:00

Ok so I have the vega 56 reference card like elpro so it won't fit but could I use a PCIe 16x riser? To put the card on top of the case?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 13th, 2018 22:00

Can you mine me some B-i-t-c-o-i-n while you are at it? :Smile:

Somebody remind me why we are chatting about putting new AMD video cards in 9 year-old machines? 

September 14th, 2018 21:00

Thats funny but i was wondering if i could use a vega 56 that has been in my closet collecting dust for a month now as a temporary solution for gaming while I save up some cash to finish my custom PC. This vega will go there when the pc is done. But my dad gave me his old dell a week ago since he replaced it with an iPad. So that is why am asking because I heard this would not work but according to elpro it can be done.

No Events found!