Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

September 9th, 2018 00:00

790, No Display Port ++ audio signal

I recently received a Optiplex 790 from work. I have a DP++ to DVI adaptor then to an HDMI adaptor. I got sound for the first 10 minutes of use then it no longer recognized the display as an audio device. I know its an older model but has anyone had this same issue and if so how did you fix it? I have to use my ubuntu partition to watch tv so i know everything works. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 9th, 2018 12:00

According to what I find doing a internet search, Display port does not contain audio.  Converting it to HDMI will only supply video.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 10th, 2018 05:00

The 790 does not come with Display Port Plus Plus ports.

The audio codec in display port is optional.

That's why the 790 doesn't sport the plus plus logo.

There are no audio signals on DVI

So DVI to HDMI is video only.

Display port Plus Plus to HDMI will only supply audio if the attached device has the PLUS PLUS ports on it.

Display Port Plus PlusDisplay Port Plus Plus

8 Posts

September 17th, 2018 00:00

DP++ has audio signaling for adapters. Display port doesnt do audio but has and audio pinout for HDMI adapters to carry it. I have a DVI adapter that supports this audio pass-threw as I get audio via my Ubuntu partition. 

8 Posts

September 17th, 2018 00:00

I have Ubuntu 16.04 installed and it picks up audio just fine. Like it plays threw the display port. It says "HDMI Emulated Audio". I got this very same thing in windows 10 but never got it again after the first boot. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 17th, 2018 04:00

"DVI adapter that supports this audio pass-threw as I get audio via my Ubuntu partition"

DVI has NO AUDIO Signals. 

DVI has no audioDVI has no audio

8 Posts

September 17th, 2018 13:00

8 Posts

September 17th, 2018 13:00

"If you want to transmit audio over DVI, you’ll need to use a special DVI-to-HDMI cable (or adapter) Assuming your computer’s video card supports HDMI audio via DVI, this cable will allow you to transmit both video and audio using a single cable. The good news is that most modern video cards support this feature. If you have an older video card, however, you may have to upgrade it."

https://www.cables.com/blog/does-dvi-support-audio/

This is true as again, I got audio threw DP ++- > DVI D - >HDMI. It has the support because it works in Ubuntu currently. I'm listening to music on my TV in Linux0917181634.jpg0917181634a.jpg0917181634b.jpg0917181634c.jpg0917181637.jpg 

I'm trying to see if someone has a fix or something to correct it. It could be a windows problem but as I said, it worked initially and after the first reboot it wouldn't even detect it. I've done another clean install and it doesn't find it anymore.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 19th, 2018 02:00

There are NO AUDIO Signals of any kind on DVI.  Never have been Never will be.  There is no correcting that which does not exist.

Display port Plus Plus to HDMI has audio ONLY when the output port on the machine is PLUS PLUS.

PLUS PLUS OUTPUT is optionalPLUS PLUS OUTPUT is optional

https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Adapter-Benfei-Converter-Gold-Plated/dp/B017Q8ZVWK/

dvi - A  pinoutdvi - A pinout

8 Posts

September 19th, 2018 06:00

Did you not read anything I have posted? It is a ++ port on the computer. I have audio right now via DP>DVI>HDMI, that works fine as long as I am in Ubuntu. I posted pictures so you can see that, you can see where it says "HDMI/Displayport". Stop replying if you're just trying to make yourself sound smart and punch holes in my question, I have a CompTIA A+. I know what I'm talking about.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 5th, 2018 09:00

DP++ to DVI  has no audio signal to pass to HDMI.  There are no pins on DVI defined as carrying audio signals.

DP++  directly to HDMI can have audio.

DP++ >>>>> DVI  >>>>HDMI does not have a path for audio.

You may have an internal speaker that audio is going thru but this is not related in any way to an external monitor.  The Adapter below is DP++ directly to HDMI and would have audio EXCEPT if the port its plugged into is not ++ then it still wont work.  I do not see the ++ logo on the 790 case nor do I see the audio codec mentioned in the specifications.

https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-DisplayPort-Adapter-Resolution-Converter/dp/B010SDZZ80/

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln286116/no-sound-with-displayport-or-hdmi-video-cable-connection?lang=en

8 Posts

March 2nd, 2021 06:00

I forgot to come back and reply, it was just a driver bug. 

This Dell does in fact, have Display++ with Audio via DVI working under windows 10.

8 Posts

May 11th, 2022 12:00

Ironically, I installed Win11 and it "Just werks"

It now lives as a Sophos Firewall haha

1 Message

May 11th, 2022 12:00

Just following up as I also had this driver "bug". The default Intel drivers do not pass on the audio with the DP++ onboard and a i7-2600. I had even checked using chrome and the intel (R) driver and support assistant and it said no updates were available for the any drivers. Dell claims not to support Windows (R) 10 on this PC. I found the windows 64 bit 8.1 drivers from dell to work and pass the audio down a DP++ to HDMI cable adaptor. Dell labels this driver: Video_Driver_W74GJ_WN_9.17.10.3517_A15 Additionally for those whom may be troubleshooting adaptors ubuntu 22.04 iso can be run live and will test the adaptors. I had issues testing my hardware with the newest knoppix.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 12th, 2022 11:00

@tyenglish 

@themanjay 

@fireberd 

Apparently there was an undocumented DVI to HDMI with audio hack that many vendors went along with. 

This specific adapter does pass audio via DVI because its single link and uses the middle pins to pass the audio.

BENFEI DisplayPort to DVI B01LGITGY0

You Add a DVI to HDMI Dongle and get the best of both worlds as far as digital but you do not get DVI-A  analog because the other pins are not passed thru.

Benfei DVI to HDMI Female B07CXY79KR

I have tested this with a 790 and 990 and it works fine for both video and audio windows 10 or 11.

1 Message

May 4th, 2023 23:00

Hello, do you have a link for where I can download this please? Direct link ideally if possible. Thank you

No Events found!