Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

4 Posts

April 6th, 2019 12:00

9010, i3-3220, integrated graphics - not able to use dual monitor

Hi, I have an Optiplex 9010, i3-3220, integrated graphics and two Dell monitors P2412H and P2314Ht. I need to connect both monitors to this desktop. I have connected the P2412H using VGA cable and P2314Ht using a DP cable. When I connect the second monitor, the first one switches to standby and second one turns on. I read some articles on dell forums that sometimes 3rd monitor is not accepted, due to some factors, but never read about dual monitor to be an issue. I've upgraded the BIOS to the latest version (30) but no luck so far. My OS is Fedora 27. I guess this should not be an issue since if the second monitor gets connected, it should be enabled during the boot sequence, as mirror to the first one. I don't see this happening on my setup. Is there a way to make it work without connecting a new video card? I don't want to use one because of the extra noise, heat and sometimes buggy video drivers for linux env. Thanks for your time on this matter.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 7th, 2019 16:00

You have to get a display port to vga adapter and use both in vga mode.

4 Posts

April 8th, 2019 00:00

Is there any particular reason for this?

Did I do something wrong?

Can I fix it?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 8th, 2019 05:00

You cant mirror or extend a monitor that is using VGA on one side and Display port on the other.  Digital vs analog use different frequencies.

It doesn't like that.

The other issue may be that you are not using the actual graphics driver but rather the Microsoft Default display driver.  That driver only supports one monitor.

There is a way to get it working but MIRRORING isnt an option.

I have one setup now with identical monitors one is Display port to DVI the other is onboard VGA.

2 Identical monitors2 Identical monitors

It wont let both be the same size mirroredIt wont let both be the same size mirrored

4 Posts

April 8th, 2019 09:00

I'll try with a Windows OS just to eliminate a hw issue, although I use Fedora 27 on this desktop.

When I say 'mirroring', i mean any kind of dual screen setup - mirroring, extended ...

I know that 'mirroring' is the default option, and sometimes you can see activity on both screens even during the boot stage. I cannot see any, and this is why i did a BIOS upgrade.

tks for your reply

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 8th, 2019 09:00

The Default vga driver only supports 1 monitor.

Windows does not allow you to choose the same resolution for VGA and Digital aka display port, dvi, hdmi on 2 different monitors.

You can only do same to same when they are both VGA or BOTH DVI etc.

Max Resolution:

Max Analog: 2048 x 1536  VGA

4096 x 2160 x 24BPP @ 60HZ  Digital

There are a LOT more options on Digital vs VGA this is 2 monitors attached to the same 9010.  Note how one WONT DO 1152 x 864 and one WONT DO 1366 x 768 or 1400 x 1050 or 1600 x 900.  There are lots of not allowed options.

ANALOG VS DIGITALANALOG VS DIGITAL

4 Posts

April 17th, 2019 23:00

I didn't solve it, but I guess it's a matter of proper drivers after all, no matter if windows or linux is used.

I've noticed that the driver i use is i915 and not intel.

I'll continue further in this direction.

cheers

No Events found!