Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 24th, 2020 14:00

Audio and Microphone wont work at the same time

I am using a dell Optiplex 390 on a random old case and i can only get audio on the back plugs and the mic to work on the front plugs i have everything plugged in and i know that because everything works except this and i have no more internal USB connectors. Could i get some help?

4 Posts

April 25th, 2020 11:00

I removed the entirety of the front panel to see that the wire coming from the audio and mic were broken so i replaced it and it works fine now.

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

April 24th, 2020 18:00

it sounds like you moved the Dell motherboard into a random non Dell case and somehow figured out the front panel connector or at least have the system powered on.  is it a MT, DT or SFF motherboard.  A picture will help.

the integrated audio (speaker and mic) ports are at back IO.  afaik these do not depend on motherboard's internal audio header connection (yellow 9 pin connector).  if you want to wire your new case front panel audio, does the  have a dedicated audio cable with pins that match the internal audio connector on motherboard?  how do you know your non Dell case front audio cable is not faulty?  can not make assumption unless it is verified.  Do you prefer to have both audio and mic on front or back IO?  it sounds like mic does not work on back IO of motherboard for you?

4 Posts

April 25th, 2020 08:00

Could you describe what a mt, dt, and sff motherboard is? It does have an audio cable with matching pins which has been plugged in. I did not say the front audio cable was not faulty i said i couldn't have plugged the audio pins in wrong because there is no other place for it to fit. I prefer to have the audio working on the back. The Mic does not work on the back but works on the front and vice versa for audio. The audio cables are plugge in near the left. If you need better pictures or closer images just ask. Sorry for the cable manegement just trying to get it to work first.IMG_20200425_112026.jpg

No Events found!