Start a Conversation

Unsolved

OV

3 Posts

April 17th, 2021 15:00

DVD ISSUES

I have a Dell 980 that I bought used to use as a media/Kodi server. It works great at that when the videos are stored on hard drive. I'm having issues with DVDs.

Using a DVD that plays fine on my other PC (ASUS laptop) I tried the play the same DVD on my Dell. With VLC it just flashes and crashes. With Media Player Classic, it throws an err message about "copy-protect fail". Since I've never used this PC for DVDs before I thought maybe the DVD player was faulty is some way. Therefore I added my USB Samsung DVD player that I use with my Laptop. Same exact errors.

One more clue. There is one DVD that plays ok on my laptop but will not rip. I tried that DVD on the Dell and Media Player Classic gave me an err about "wrong region" despite the fact that the DVD player and the DVD are both region-1.

I have updated the drivers and even uninstalled and reinstalled the devices. Same thing.

I'm at a loss. Ideas ??

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

April 17th, 2021 16:00

your issue of DVD playback is not related to Dell hardware as you have already observed that non Dell dvd device had same error.  It is the media app that is buggy.  not clear which os you are using.  if it is a critical issue it may pay to do a  y fresh clean install of OS, then clean install the player that is written for your os (Win 7 vs 10) and correct bit (32 vs 64).  Also having more ram will help dvd play back if you have other background task active.

Optical drive is getting obsolete just as VHS did.  Hdd and ssd of large capacity are getting cheaper. Maybe good idea to store media collections on hdd, pull the one you like on ssd to play.  It is not mechanic so no more spinning noise.

Re: rip dvd.  That is a separate issue and depends on whether and how copy right material is protected on specific disc.  No one method works for all.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 18th, 2021 01:00

DVD regions prevent playing other regions than what the drive is set to. This is not a Dell issue or a Windows issue and has existed for decades. There are 8 regions. USA is Region 1. The Content Scramble System (CSS) is a digital rights management (DRM) encryption system is used on many commercially produced DVD discs both video and software like windows.

To prevent the illegal creation of perfect digital copies of DVDs, the information on most DVDs is encrypted via CSS. Your DVD codec and Windows Media Player/Windows Media Center have copy protection software that decrypts the information on the DVD just before displaying it. If this software doesn't start correctly, you might receive this error due to Region Code of the DVD.

As for Ripping even the Handbrake Author Removed CSS decryption from his program. There is no help or support for copyright infringement. This is a violation of international law.

Windows and Linux and many other things obey the DVD encryption/copy protection rules. DVD software is not supported by Dell.

https://customer.real.com/hc/en-us/articles/204041233

'Key exchange' error when playing DVD (RealPlayer Plus)

When I try to play a DVD in RealPlayer Plus, I get an error message that says, "The DVD cannot be played. Key exchange for DVD copy protection failed." What can I do?

First, make sure that the DVD can be played in your region. DVDs will play only on players using the same region country code as the actual discs.

If the region is correct and your computer is running Vista Ultimate as the operating system, you should be able to resolve this error and watch your DVD by changing the Color Space setting in RealPlayer:

1. Open RealPlayer.

2. Click the RealPlayer logo, then Preferences, and select DVD.

3. In the Advanced section, change the Color Space setting to RGB and click OK.

4. Restart RealPlayer for the new setting to take effect.

Real Player Plus Error Copy Protect

You will not find support for this here. 

April 18th, 2021 05:00

Nothing you wrote is even remotely related to the issur

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 18th, 2021 05:00

@OPTIPLEX980.v01 

"Nothing you wrote is even remotely related to the issur"

Well I disagree but that is all the help you are going to get.

Fairly Sure Samsung will tell you the same thing.

DVD Copy Protection Error 0x80030309

Copy protection error 0x80030309 occurs when you try to copy content from a copyrighted DVD. This is because encrypted DVDs are protected from being copied by a method called content scrambling system (CSS).

When I try to copy the contents of my DVD and paste it into a folder on my Windows computer, I get the message “Error 0x80030309: Copy protection error – reading failed because sector is encrypted”

There are ways around this but they are not legal and violate US and international copyright laws.

United States copyright law is designed to protect the rights of people who create artistic work and those who purchase the right to use such works. DVD copyrights may be registered through the U.S. Copyright Office, but a DVD does not have to be registered to be copyrighted.

Neither publication, registration, nor other action is required to secure a copyright, although in some countries use of a copyright notice is recommended. ISCRN Is an electronic system that operates independently according to some international standards, to protect copyrights from thefts and the creative intellectual property.

April 18th, 2021 09:00

The dvd snd the dvd player are both region-1.   Nbody is using handbrake or real software.  There was is no issue with the dell dvd player but the dell pc is whacked. Your reply was 100% irrelevant.  I regret purchasng a Dell and I regret asking advive in such a judgemental environment.   Tossing the Dell and getting an Apple because of you and people like you

No Events found!