Hello Bro

I Have Dell Optiplex 3010 i7 3770 8 Gb Ram 500 HDD

I Want Guidance For Upgrade Graphic Card and Ram SSD Card

And PSU - Kindly Need Your Guidance..

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

June 29th, 2020 15:00

Images will appear when approved by moderation.  I think PC Builds got tired of my copy & pasting.  Please see screengrab:

Capture+_2020-06-29-16-10-40.png

When the GPU is the bottleneck, what that means is you'll still get 100% out of it, but better can go with your CPU.

Copy & pasting worked here:

Graphic card and processor will work great together:

Intel Core i7-3770 (Clock speed at 100%) with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (Clock speed at 100%) x1 will produce only 3.66% of bottleneck. - PC Builds

The GTX 1650 is a 75w card.  Standard PSU can power it.  Here's a video of a 75w GTX 1050 ti being put in a 3010 SFF with 240w PSU.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SVeWD15hLCY 

You could also use a GTX 1050 ti, but bottleneck would be 54.91%, with the GPU being the bottleneck, according to PC Builds.  You'd still get 100% out of the GTX 1050 ti, but the GTX 1650 (not SUPER) is the best one to go with your CPU.  Better than that and the CPU becomes the bottleneck.

Capture+_2020-06-29-16-51-15.png

PC Builds recommends 16GB RAM to go with the GTX 1650.  Optiplex 3010 run on 16GB RAM?  Dell Community Optiplex 3010 16GB RAM   Be sure to have the latest BIOS for your 3010 first.

Capture+_2020-06-29-17-02-36.png

Capture+_2020-06-29-17-10-23.png

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 29th, 2020 16:00

The GT1030 works fine with I7 3770 as well as core 2 Quad and Core 2 Duo .

Linus uses GT1030 for baseline configuration to analyze bottlenecks.

He calls it a GTX 1030 but thats not a problem no such GTX version exists.

You cant blanket say any bottleneck without exactly describing the workload aka Game or Video Editing or whatever with what resolution settings.   When you use Low to medium settings at 720P its fine.  Low to medium settings at 1080P will be choppy and Ultra settings at 4k resolution wont be acceptable with most things but would be fine for static picture viewing at 4k.  Most Games work fine in older optiplex with 3770 processor.  Its not 200FPS at 4k but 720P is above 30FPS for all of my games.

SIZES mICRO AND  USFF CANT TAKE A GPUSIZES mICRO AND USFF CANT TAKE A GPUpRIMARY bLUE SLOT MUST BE USED.  bLACK SLOT IS LIMITED TO 25w CARDSpRIMARY bLUE SLOT MUST BE USED. bLACK SLOT IS LIMITED TO 25w CARDS

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

June 29th, 2020 17:00

Indeed, settings, software, workloads, etc. will vary.  Probably one reason clock speed is included in the statements.  This statement was also included in one of the screengrabs:

*This result is based on average CPU and GPU usage from different programs and games. It changes based on operating system, background processes activity and targeted applications. This result is not universal and changes based on differences in hardware and software enviroments. Please do not use this calculator primary as decision maker than as helping tool to understand performance correlations between different components. - PC Builds

Capture+_2020-06-29-19-21-33.png

I never said the GT 1030, nor the GTX 1050 ti, wouldn't work.  Just that the GTX 1650 is the best one to go with the I7-3770.  Anything above the GTX 1650, and the CPU turns into bottleneck.  The GT 1030 isn't a blanket for everything.

Supported in the video speedstep linked, besides that $30 CPU's don't go with $1,000 GPU's (on the extreme end), bottlenecks can't be avoided 100%, but the right pairings can be made.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 29th, 2020 18:00

My recommendations are based on what works, what I own or have access to, and actual games and programs that I use. Dells are not PC builds they are OEM pre made systems.
The contexts quoted with a percentage of "bottleneck" dont list any actual games or systems etc.
For most modern games the GT1030 not only works but it does not overload the power supply or go against the power supply recommendations . The other issue with 1650 is that OLDER DELLS do not support UEFI cards because the UEFI cards do not support MSDOS VESA video mode 103.  @DELL-Chris M can validate that not only is the GT1030 a card that works there is an OEM version 8CCF1 made by ecs that ships in various models like the inspiron 3670.  This is significant because it means that the card is fine to buy and can be used in newer models without issue.

Pascal based cards aka GT1030 1050 1060 1080 etc work fine with older dells.  Newer turing based cards like the 1650 have issues with older dells.

Non Dell cards require secure boot set to off.

Telling users that a 250W power supply is fine for a 75W video card in a Desktop or SFF model dell is bad advice.   This advice is contrary to even what NVIDIA says.  The 1650 is a 75W card.   The other issue is that only the BLUE primary slot is for 75W cards.  The secondary slot is 25W max per the manual.

250W POWER250W POWERblue primary slotsblue primary slots

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

June 29th, 2020 23:00

@speedstep,

So how come you're the only one I get NEGATIVE feedback from?

Did you ever challenge redxps630 for listing bottleneck and suggesting GPU's other than the GT 1030?

Why don't you think a 75w GPU will work on a 17A (or better), 12v rail?

I've quite regularly proved my points with YouTube videos.  Did you ever challenge any of those videos with the people that made them?

Why do you think you need to invoke @Dell-Chris M into your arguements?  1 or 2 yrs. ago, didn't you have a conniption fit when you merely thought I wanted you to back or agree to something I said?  Did that ever ____ you off.

Do you think you're the only one recommending what works?

Where did you get the 250w PSU image from, as in what Dell does it belong to?

Why do you handle any perceived challenges to the establishment so poorly?

Nobody needs your permission to list bottleneck.  If you can't read that bottleneck is a "helping tool to understand performance correlations between different components." - PC Builds, well, then, whose problem is that?

Lastly, you're not a judge, so stop judging.  Haven't you heard?  You'll be judged based on how you judge.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 30th, 2020 01:00

@speedstep,

So how come you're the only one I get NEGATIVE feedback from?

Thats passive agressive playing the victim.
I have no reference one way or the other since this is not my forum.
Stating that using a 75W card for SFF or Desktop system that only has 250W or smaller power supply
is bad advice. That doesnt change.

Did you ever challenge redxps630 for listing bottleneck and suggesting GPU's other than the GT 1030?

Thats passive agressive playing the victim.
You seem to be implying something but I'm not sure what that is.

Why don't you think a 75w GPU will work on a 17A (or better), 12v rail?

12 @ 17 AMPS is 204W If your power supply is 250W total and its using 10W on the 3.3v rail that leaves 240W total for EVERYTHING. 65W on the 12v Rail is 5.4 Amps and 20W on the 5VSB is 4 AMPS.  The systems I don't worry about having 75W card are tower units with 305W power supply minimum.

7010 Desktop Power supply7010 Desktop Power supply

NVIDIA specifys 300W power supply minimum for a reason.
If you overload your power supply it may die and Fry everything in the process.

I've quite regularly proved my points with YouTube videos.

In regards to "bottlenecking" you havent proved anything.
In regards to 75W card working there are posts on the forum from people who used more than 40W card and had issues.

Did you ever challenge any of those videos with the people that made them?

There is no reason to challenge anyones videos. If they made those upgrades and it died its not likely they would follow up saying that it was bad advice. I have over 35 years experience with computers and video cards and power supplies both linear and switching.

I've done Dell Certified Repairs, HP Certified Repairs, and worked as both a field service engineer as well as Managed a field service company with 400 techs and several hundred onsite service contracts.

Stressing a power supply in a cramped system is not a good Idea.
Best case scenario it works without issue.
Worst case scenario it fries the supply and eats everything when that happens.

Why do you think you need to invoke @DELL-Chris M into your arguements?  1 or 2 yrs. ago, didn't you have a conniption fit when you merely thought I wanted you to back or agree to something I said? Did that ever ____ you off.

@DELL-Chris M works for Dell and would have an opinion about recommending 75W video card with Dell that has 250W or smaller power supply.

Do you think you're the only one recommending what works?

This is passive agressive Jab.
Have never said that or that something doesnt work initially.  My concern is what happens when you start gaming and it fries everything.

Where did you get the 250w PSU image from, as in what Dell does it belong to?

Again I don't have to justify this to you or have it validated.
FY9H3 comes from My optiplex 7010 DESKTOP. The SFF has even smaller power supply. Even the Tower version of 7010 is LESS THAN 300W.

Why do you handle any perceived challenges to the establishment so poorly?

Another passive agressive Jab that I'm not answering.
My assessment of bad advice is based on sound engineering standards and Recommendations from the specifications as well as the vendors Like Dell and NVIDIA.  You have not shown that NVIDIA or Dell say its fine and not an issue.

Nobody needs your permission to list bottleneck.

Again Passive Agressive I never said that anyone did.
The fact remains you that its invalid to specify bottleneck without knowing
the parameters of the workload, amount of ram, screen resolution, etc.
Most asking about a GPU want to play games. The GT1030 does this just fine with many older models including the 380, 780, 980, 390, 790, 990, 3010, 7010, 9010, 3020, 7020, 9020 etc.  There have been ZERO complaints about it not working or having "bottleneck" or being weak card.

If you can't read that bottleneck is a "helping tool to understand performance correlations between different components." - PC Builds, well, then, whose problem is that?

The test condidtions of what model what os, how much ram, etc are not listed in the blanket statements.  I can read just fine. I also can find IEEE and ANSI and ISO engineering specifications. Worse there are no specific games listed like Fortnite, World of warcraft, GTA, etc.

Lastly, you're not a judge, so stop judging.
Haven't you heard?
You'll be judged based on how you judge.

Again This is passive agressive playing the victim.
I have not "judged" anyone I merely indicate what the Recommendations are based on Fact.  I don't need anyones permission to state facts.
Telling people that using 75W video card is a bad Idea is based on fact as well as  owning the specific model.

-7010 sizes7010 sizes

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

June 30th, 2020 22:00

@speedstep 

"BLUE primary slot is for 75W cards."  Thank you for that clarification.  The 7010/9010 MT, DT, SFF, and 7020/9020 MT, SFF have a BLUE slot.  (No DT for the 7020/9020.)

"NVIDIA specifys 300W power supply minimum for a reason."  Also, "Telling users that a 250W power supply is fine for a 75W video card in a Desktop or SFF model dell is bad advice.  This advice is contrary to even what NVIDIA says."  Thank you for those clarifications.  When screengrabs appear, you'll see that Nvidia also recommends 300w PSU for the GT 1030.

Capture+_2020-06-30-23-22-22.png

Capture+_2020-06-30-23-59-16.png

You've quite routinely recommended the GT 1030 for the aforementioned Optiplex models, all with less than 300w PSU's.  Aren't you glad you're not a hypocrite?  "You have not shown that NVIDIA or Dell say its fine and not an issue." 

With your routine recommendations came no regard, no checking for bottleneck.  Then, when 2 people check and post bottleneck %'s, you hyper-criticize 1 and tell them they can't post that without this, this, that and the next thing even though it's a general correlation between components (GPU & CPU).  Not every possible scenario can be listed.  If you think it can, go for it.  Hold yourself to your own standards.

Bottleneck percents are not invalid just because you don't like them.  Argue with PC Builds if you don't like their analyzations.  Since it's impossible to list every scenario with what PC, ram, OS, games, resolution settings, FPS, and other possible benchmarks, they might just point you to their disclaimer that you ignored.

As you still invoke @Dell-Chris M into your arguements, aren't you glad you're not a hypocrite?  As you'll remember, 1 or 2 yrs. ago, didn't you ever have a conniption fit when you merely thought I wanted you to back or agree to something I said?  Did that ever ____ you off.

By the way, those videos I link, don't just show installation, but also show the games being played.

Just because you have vast PC experience does not mean you don't lack some communication skills...

You are not a psychiatrist, and don't qualify to label and name-call everything you don't like as "passive aggressive."  You'll be judged based on how you judge.  I don't need your permission to state the facts.

Unlike from you, the feedback I've been getting has been positive.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 30th, 2020 23:00

You extrapolate and postulate but you leave out key facts.

"Telling users that a 250W power supply is fine for a 75W video card
in a Desktop or SFF model dell is bad advice."

You've quite routinely recommended the GT 1030 for the aforementioned Optiplex models,
all with less than 300w PSU's. Aren't you glad you're not a hypocrite?

The GT1030 is NOT a 75W card.

The 8CCF1  OEM GT1030 ships with the 3670 which has 290W power supply.

When you use OEM cards for the 3670 that are more than 40W they have optional 365W power supply.

Your bad advice tells users that when they have a 250W 7010 or other Desktop or SFF dell that its fine.  When you use a GPU for games it tends to use a lot more power than IDLE.

You also lump sum power supplies with a single spec of WATTS.

HOWEVER the 5vSB on even the 250W dell power supply is 4 AMPS which is 20W.   40Watts is used by the USB Ports on the various models.

3.3v is used on the PCI-E slot as well as the ram etc.

You cannot use all power at maximum on all rails at the same time.

So your 250W power supply loses at least 10W on the 3.3v rails and 40W on the 5v Rail and 20W on the 5vSB rail.  That leaves 180W for everything else including the CPU.

Overstressing a power supply can have catestrophic results.   I know a 25W card is never an issue and a 40W card is fine based on the 290W used in 9020 and 3670 being fine for Dell 8CCF1 GT1030.

My recommendations are based on safety margins.  They are not trying to challenge anything or anyone.

Indication of bad advice has not changed in the slightest for 75W video card on a system with 250W power supply.

TOTAL POWER is 250W and 5vSB is 20W etc.TOTAL POWER is 250W and 5vSB is 20W etc.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

July 1st, 2020 20:00

Thread has reached moderation.

478 Posts

July 1st, 2020 20:00

The Prima donna is whining again?

. Nothing new.

10 Posts

April 9th, 2023 09:00

Get an Rx 580 and upgrade PSU to 450w to 500w