Start a Conversation

Unsolved

HS

1 Message

December 28th, 2018 20:00

Dell Optiplex 760 SFF compatible GPU card and thermal issue

hello,

i have a Dell Optiplex 760 SFF.

it loaded with GT 710 low profile vga card and work fine.

few month ago im trying to install GT730. for first time it works, but after about few weeks i cant boot into my pc. it says "Alert! previous shutdown due thermal event". and if im right the led indicator flashing are number 1,2, and 3. i think i just need to reset the bios so im take the RTC cell and replace it and it can run again. but in few weeks (again), i got the same problem.

for now i use the GT710 again.

does gpu TDP matter?

GT710 power consumption is 19W and GT730 is 25W (the GT710 is only using heatsink and GT730 with fan by the way)

i mod my SFF with 430W ATX power supply so i think the supply is enough.

any advise will help..

thanks

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 29th, 2018 06:00

If it works with the low profile card is it possible the GT730 is blocking air flow to the CPU? In addition to that is it possible the CPU fan and/or heatsink is plugged up with dust? The GT730 only requires a 300W PSU so the draw on the PSU would be minimal compared to the GT710. And now that you have another GPU s it possible that you are gaming more or running the system heavier causing more CPU stress? The 1,2,3 indicator not only means a CMOS battery it also indicates another problem that is specified by the error on the screen. In this case the thermal event. The system is approaching 10 years old and it could be the CPU cooling fan is not running at full speed, the thermal paste on the CPU is dried out, any number of possibilities on a system that old.

No Events found!