Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

2 Posts

May 7th, 2020 08:00

Dell Optiplex 980 lights 1 and 3 error with flashing yellow amber light

Hello all

i have a Dell Optiplex 980 (the big fat ones... the MT model i think) and the day before yesterday it was working all fine and good, but yesterday i turned it on. the lights 1 and 3 came on and the power button was amber and flashing, i looked it up and couldnt find much except that if the power supply button glows if you hold it for long then that means there is a "peripheral" error, so i disconnected all USBs, Keyboards, mouse and yet the thing still has happened. amber power buttons have happened before but they usually get randomnly fixed by themselves in 1 hour or something and the computer is normal. but all of a sudden this has happened. i thought maybe its the ram but i dont think it is and i thought that since there's a heatwave i just gave a silly guess of it being a overheat problem or something even though i left it was many hours it still gave me this error and its lockdown right now and im not sure what to do right now, the computer really helps with the boring quarantine, any help will be appreciated. thanks. 

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

May 7th, 2020 10:00

Possible psu has failed given your story of recent similar issue but recovery. That is typically how psu gradually dies.  Get a verified working psu to test your pc. Psu light on does not mean anything.

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

May 7th, 2020 12:00

Dell Diagnostic Indicators 

Green light when pressing PSU test button simply means it has power.  It sounds like you already did a good job of troubleshooting.  The 980 goes back to 2010 for reference if you use the link above.

Before giving up, I suggest replacing the size 2032 battery if it hasn't been replaced within the last 5 years.  It can often be the first thing to check.  Cheap fix even if by chance it doesn't work.

Below is pasted from Dell Diagnostic Indicators.  (Any little images contained therein might not show up.  Interface considers it HTML.)

Blinking
A possible system board, power supply, or peripheral failure has occurred.
  • Power off computer, leaving the computer plugged in. Press and hold the power supply test button on the rear of the power supply unit. If the LED next to the switch illuminates, the problem may be with your system board.
  • If the LED next to the switch does not illuminate, disconnect all internal and external peripherals, and press and hold the power supply test button. If it illuminates, there could be a problem with a peripheral.
  • If the LED still does not illuminate, remove the PSU connections from the system board, then press and hold the power supply button. If it illuminates, there could be a problem with the system board.
  • If the LED still does not illuminate, the problem is probably with the power supply.

May 7th, 2020 23:00

Thanks well i was toying around accidently with the F12 boot menu the day when it was last working. so i thought i should reset the CMOS battery so i tried to but the battery holder is black cheap plastic and there is NO clip button its just locked on that black plastic is there a way to tap it and itll pop or do i have to pry it out with a flat edge screwdriver. im scared that i may damage something...

Thanks.

• 

25.1K Posts

May 8th, 2020 03:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

No Events found!