Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

5 Posts

January 30th, 2022 20:00

Firmware update stuck at 0%

My new Optiplex has been stuck with the Dell logo against a black screen at 0% for 12 hours. Please  HELP

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 25th, 2022 13:00

In case you're reaching out because of this problem on your laptop, please try performing a Hard Reset:

1. Disconnect any external devices including the AC adapter (and battery if possible)

2. Hold the power button down for 20~30 seconds

3. Bypass any power strips, surge protectors or battery backups

4. Verify the wall outlet is functional

5. Plug only the AC adapter/battery back into the laptop

6. Attempt to power on the system and finish the update.

If that does not solved the issue, proceed to the next step.

1. Remove the AC adaptor and wait for the battery to drain completely (it can take minutes or hours depending on the battery level).

2. After the battery drained completely, connect the AC adapter back and press the Power button for 25 to 40 seconds until the battery charging LED blinks twice and then the release power button. 

3. Once that is done, check if the update was complete and you have the new BIOS installed. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

That can't be good.

Pray? Hope you didn't brick-it/kill-it.

You don't say what Optiplex model. Most new ones have BIOS-Guard-Recovery, but it's not always 100% successful/possible.

• 

25.2K Posts

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a Private message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

5 Posts

January 30th, 2022 21:00

Optiplex 7090

Flash progress 0%

5 Posts

January 30th, 2022 21:00

Where is that option?

6 Professor

• 

7.6K Posts

January 31st, 2022 14:00

How to Recover the BIOS on a Dell Computer 

Also, if you were updating BIOS and MB bricked, you may have to pursue as a warranty issue.

2 Posts

May 27th, 2022 02:00

I just have the same issue (BIOS update hangs on 0%) with brand new OptiPlex 7090 (factory UEFI 1.4.3).

Hard reset did not work. Any standard option (like UEFI update via F12 menu) did not work.

I did BIOS recovery option and it works!!

Currently available version of .rcv file is 1.6.1. There is no .rcv file for 1.7.0 version at this time.

What to do:

1) download .rcv file from driver download section (check older versions if newest is not available)

2) copy file to USB drive to main directory (when it was in subfolder it did not work)

3) turn off computer and connect USB drive

4) turn on computer and press-and-hold ctrl+esc button for as long as you see screen with BIOS recovery option

5) proceed with BIOS recovery option

Unfortunately after recovery-update to 1.6.1 the 1.7.0 standard .exe version still hangs on 0%.

5 Posts

May 30th, 2022 08:00

Every time I allow my computer to update firmware it gets stuck bought this brand new directly from Dell back in late December early January I don't think it should be having to get a hard reset every single time

2 Posts

June 20th, 2022 23:00

UPDATE

Got another brand new OptiPlex 7090 on my desk an it has the same problem. The issue is still not resolved by DELL.

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

August 1st, 2022 06:00

Update = After verifying ownership and completing troubleshooting, a DELL agent setup service.

No Events found!