Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

May 18th, 2022 05:00

Hard drive slows bios and boot process

I have recently installed a 2tb wd green hdd. It has slowed down my boot time by a lot. I cannot uninstall it because i need the space for games. I have tried removing it as a boot option in the bios, but it didn't help. My specs are:

120gb ssd

16 ram (4x4)

nvidia geforce gtx 1050 ti

intel core i5 vpro 2500 @3.30ghz

stock dell motherboard that came with my optiplex 990

that 2tb hard drive that i am having issues with.

any help is appreciated

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

May 18th, 2022 09:00

If you wanted a faster drive then the WD Black would have been the better choice. An even better choice would have been a 2 TB SSD which is much faster. You can always clone the Green drive to a new SSD and your performance will be substantially better.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 19th, 2022 13:00

Please see WD Blue, Black, & Green Comparison. 

Green is only 5,400 RPM.  It's better suited for things like storage and surveillance.  (WD also has purple for surveillance.)

Blue & Black are 7,200 RPM, better suited for booting, everyday computing, with Black being supposedly faster than Blue, so may be good for certain games, more so than blue.  I use blue HDD's for storage.

One of my boot drives is a WD VelociRaptor 10,000 RPM.  Almost as fast as an SSD.

@JOcean's suggestion of an SSD is the fastest option.  If you go WD, lean toward blue instead of green.

Upon further review, I almost misunderstood your post.  I see you're already using a 120GB SSD.  So I take it that's your boot drive and the WD green storage.  If the WD green is storage, it shouldn't have slowed your boot times any.  BIOS normally doesn't have any trouble finding boot drives.

Unless the WD green is also a boot drive?  If yes, I'll save that for another post.

Make sure both SSD and HDD are plugged into the colored (black & blue) SATA ports.  DVD drive can be plugged into white SATA port.  Here's why:  https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000127010/sata-3-0-support-for-the-optiplex-990 

If still no luck after checking SATA port plug-ins, and a storage drive slowed your boot times, go with something better suited for gaming.  If anything, at least 7,200 RPM.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

May 19th, 2022 15:00

@bradthetechnut is spot on and I too missed the mention of the 120 GB SSD. Now the unknown is whether any Windows boot files are on the HDD. I cannot see that happening unless you clean installed Windows after the HDD installation. I mentioned the 2 TB SSD as an alternative storage drive that will give you very fast access to your data files, games, pictures, etc.

No Events found!