Start a Conversation

Unsolved

LJ

1 Message

March 8th, 2019 20:00

Keyboard volume and mute buttons not working

I recently bought a refurbished Dell Optiplex 760 desktop PC, running Win 7 Pro/64.  It works fine, EXCEPT that the keyboard buttons for mute and volume +/- do not work.    If I open the speaker icon in the tray, and hit the mute key or the volume +/- , I get a pinging sound from the speakers, but the volume bar does not move up or down.  I conclude from this that the keyboard is functioning correctly.  Actually, I am not sure that any of the function keys do anything.   On my previous desktop PC (a Lenovo desktop) the keyboard audio functions and the function keys worked fine.   Is there a software setting someplace to allow the computer to respond to the audio keys and other function keys?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 9th, 2019 09:00

Have you tried another keyboard? Does the KB have the software installed that controls the features on the KB? Check the KB manufacturer's web site for downloads. Dell has downloads for keyboards. The model number is on the bottom.

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/04/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/mouse-keyboard-touchpad/keyboard

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 9th, 2019 10:00

@Lazer Jay wrote:

1. I conclude from this that the keyboard is functioning correctly. 

2. Is there a software setting someplace to allow the computer to respond to the audio keys and other function keys?

1. I think your conclusion is pre-mature.  

2. No

12 Posts

March 10th, 2019 04:00

You can try to reinstall the chipset driver or to install the latest version of it, maybe that will fix the problem. 

No Events found!