Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

October 1st, 2022 20:00

My Optiplex 9020 SFF!

Hello! I just wanted to thank the community in my quest to rebuild and breathe new life in to my Optiplex. What started as a replacement for my old GX270 accidently turned into a lite gaming backup PC. Everything on it is maxed out to what it can handle; pretty much every internal connector on the motherboard has something plugged into it!  Photos enclosed. It has a Sapphire Radeon RX6400 for the video; I did a quick test by running some games. Even on high quality, it was still averaging about 54-55 fps, most of the time it was at 60. The fans did kick on, but only briefly.  I also upgraded the power supply to the 315W model (DPN VX372) just as a precaution. I think it's safe to say that this thing runs like a clock, and should give me many years of reliable service. I guess the only question now is... what should I do next? I also have the USFF variant, which is my office/audio editor PC.  Should I go for the MT next? Or something else? (Yes, I am aware that there is a 9020 Micro version; however, I'm not really interested in that one... they're waaaay underpowered and not really useful for much these days.)

Thanks!

The inside of my PCThe inside of my PCThe Technical specs.The Technical specs.Paired with a Dell E1909h monitor. Please pardon the mess.Paired with a Dell E1909h monitor. Please pardon the mess.

11 Posts

October 2nd, 2022 15:00

Nice!  Would be nice to see photos from the front and back too (too see the different ports).  Thx!

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

October 3rd, 2022 21:00

Ask and you shall receive. Front.Front.Back.Back.

11 Posts

October 4th, 2022 21:00

Thx.  It looks like you have 3 HDMIs and a covered display port.  Do you use all 3 HDMI ports?

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

October 5th, 2022 07:00

The only port I use is the one HDMI port, the one above the covered DP port. The 2 DPs and the VGA port on the other side are from the onboard graphics and are inactive. (If anyone's curious, it's the Intel HD Graphics 4600 and only has 128MB of dedicated memory.)  Now, the two ports next to the graphics card are not HDMI. They are actually IEEE1394, or Firewire 400 ports. I have a 2nd Gen iPod from 2002 that uses that port, so that's why it's there. My original intent with this PC was to use it as an office/audio editor production and for Music storage, until I discovered this community and via some old posts here that these can be turned into gaming PCs. I just find it kinda hilarious that a PC this small (that's not a laptop) can be converted into a gaming PC, which I'm pretty sure that this not what Dell intended them for. But hey, I'm glad to see these old Optiplexes get new life, which is why I stand by them. Anyways, sorry for the ramble.

11 Posts

October 5th, 2022 18:00

Good rambling!  The info might be helpful to someone. 

You spec lists 4xUSB 3.0 ports, but your USB ports are all in black.  Don't the USB 3.0 ports come in blue?

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

October 6th, 2022 22:00

These are early USB 3.0 ports, which are indicated by the letters "SS" next to the USB symbol. The 30/70/9020 series originally came out in 2013, right around the time USB 3.0 was becoming a thing. I don't remember when the blue was adopted though... I think 2014, but I'm not sure. Regardless, anything that's USB 3.0 will work on those ports. I have my Razer Huntsman USB keyboard and my Linksys USB Wifi thing (which both specifically require USB 3.0) both plugged into the ports in the back, and they're working with no issues.

So, if there's no blue, look for the "SS."  (SS = SuperSpeed)

Edit: I believe the 30/70/9020 series are the first ones to have USB 3.

3020 SFF has 2 in the back

70/9020 SFF has 2 in the back, 2 in the front.

I dont recall if the 30/70/9010s had them

11 Posts

October 7th, 2022 02:00

Thx!

No Events found!