Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

309 Posts

August 3rd, 2022 10:00

NUM Lock goes on and off by itself in response to unrelated keystrokes

Just got three new Dell PCs - one Precision 3660 Tower and two Optiplex 7000 Towers. Per my orders, all three came with the Dell wireless keyboard and mouse model KM5221W (the box label says KM5221WBKB-US).

On at least two of the PCs and maybe all three, the NUM Lock goes on and off by itself in response to unrelated keystroke combinations.  A lot.

For example, CTRL + SHIFT + Esc open Task Manager (correct) but also causes NUM Lock to toggle On or Off (wrong).  And many others.

How to fix?

Could it be related to this wireless keyboard?  See also my different question at https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/How-to-do-Fn-Lock-on-Dell-Wireless-Keyboard-KM5221W/td-p/8245064/jump-to/first-unread-message 

Thanks.

309 Posts

August 7th, 2022 14:00

fireberd - I have made progress on this issue, but not from a direct approach.

It seems that the solution to my OTHER issue, about F1 - F12 keys not working unless one also held the Fn key, has helped here as well.  See https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/How-to-do-Fn-Lock-on-Dell-Wireless-Keyboard-KM5221W-so-F1-F12/m-p/8245064#M62303 

To solve the other issue, I typed Fn+Esc to go into "Fn Lock".  Since then, sitting at the keyboard (our new wireless keyboards), the constant top-center display warnings about Num Lock Off and On (whenever I hit Shift+something or Win+something) have stopped.

However, if I remote in to the same PC using AnyDesk, the problem continues.  But as that is only me and represents 0.1% of the use of the PC, I'll live with it.  At least it won't torture our employees.

I scoured Settings to look for anything related and didn't find anything that changes the outcome.  My cursory review of the new BIOS didn't find anything either, but I would need to check that again to be confident.

Once again, Dell has done something "extra" that is entirely non-ergonomic with little concern for its small business customer who puts in a lot of work without in-house advanced IT help to make things run well.  If Dell is going to inflict top-center screen warnings about something (when these warnings are not Windows standard), Dell should provide an option to turn them off.  In this case, that option does not exist.

Very frustrated, and we spent approx. $6,000 on three new PCs.

And since I don't know what actually helped with the issue, there is a risk it will recur.  Please watch this space.

309 Posts

August 4th, 2022 09:00

Update on this issue -- and I'm the OP.

I've been on the phone with Dell tech support (which I purchased along with my new PCs).  One of the knowledgeable techs explained something to me that I hadn't known, but it's not yet a solution to this problem.

If I (or you) have Num Lock on, the number pad on the right part of my keyboard will type numbers.  When it is off, some of the keys will position the cursor around the document.  (You can see the arrows and "Home" etc. on the number pad.)  Well, that's the basic starting point, and I always set my PCs to turn Num Lock on.

However, when I'm in a document with Num Lock on, and I hold down Shift, then the number pad works as if Num Lock is off.  (With Shift down, the number keys won't type numbers - they will move the cursor around the same as if Num Lock is off.  As soon as I let go of Shift, the number pad works to type numbers.)  While I was on the phone with Dell, I tried this in an Excel spreadsheet, and he was 100% correct.  That's not at all a problem and is good to know.

The problem I am having is that, in the new PC with new keyboard, every time I hit Shift or the Win key with any other key, I get an immediate warning at the top of my display screen that Num Lock is turning Off or On.  Over and over.  That's what I need to get rid of - this constant showing me that Num Lock is temporarily off and then back on.  It may be accurate, but it is absolutely maddening.  Who needs this?  How do I get rid of this constant top-of-monitor popup?

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 4th, 2022 10:00

@glnz Since I dont like those keyboards i would suggest

Logitech K800 or
UNICOMP IBM Model M Buckling Spring Keyboard USB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275393700309

I prefer capacitive keyboard which is a 35 year old design which is why PS2 keyboard option remains even today on precision workstations. The original IBM PC from 1981 used this design.

Model M buckling spring keyboard has the same mechanism, feel and layout as the original IBM Model M keyboard, but with a slightly smaller footprint. The buckling spring key design these keyboards have been prized by computer enthusiasts and robust typists because of the tactile and auditory feedback of each keystroke. Still made by  UNICOMP

In 1996, Lexmark International was prepared to shut their Lexington keyboard factory where they produced Model M buckling-spring keyboards. IBM, their principal customer and the Model M's original designer and patent holder, had decided to remove the Model M from its product line in favor of cost-saving rubber-dome keyboards.

Rather than seeing its production come to an end, a group of former Lexmark and IBM employees purchased the license, tooling and design rights for buckling-spring technology, and, in April 1996, reestablished the business as Unicomp.  People still pay hundreds of dollars for these keyboards on ebay because they don't know that Unicomp still exists today.  They will even repair your original keyboard if its not working.

Buckling springs originated in 1981 IBM’s mechanical keyboard as a fundamentally different kind of switch mechanism. Featuring a coil spring that sits between the keycap and a pivoting hammer that collapses when clicked, the spring provides a loud, tactile feedback.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 4th, 2022 11:00

I have a Microsoft wireless keyboard (and mouse combo).  I get the number lock on or off notice and I haven't found a way to eliminate it.

The Microsoft keyboard is sort of a throwback to older keyboard feel and layout.  Not IBM 3174/3270 but close.

309 Posts

August 5th, 2022 06:00

fireberd - do you get that pop-up notice on your screen as often as I do - constantly as I use key combinations for normal work? 

Or only occasionally?

309 Posts

August 5th, 2022 09:00

In my case, it's happening at top center of the screen and it is way too noticeable and incredibly frequent.

This is on two different (maybe three) PCs with the KM5221W wireless keyboard.

Am I the only one being annoyed by this?  No one else cares?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 5th, 2022 09:00

Num Lock and Caps lock both display on or off when pressed.

The message is displayed in the lower right of the screen.

309 Posts

August 5th, 2022 14:00

fireberd - can you post those search links here about the vendor-specific settings?  I couldn't find anything relevant, and I'm still speaking with Dell about this.

Also, what links prompt you to write "Supposed to be a vendor app for this" ??  Would be great to see that as well.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 5th, 2022 14:00

I did a search for this and what I find, its vendor specific if it displays and the location on the screen.

Supposed to be a vendor app for this but didn't find  what it is and/or where its installed for Dell (or in my case, Microsoft).

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 6th, 2022 03:00

All my info is from a Bing search for "num lock display on screen".

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 7th, 2022 03:00

I posted the how to disable the on screen display on another computer forum.  I'll see what, if any, responses I get.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 7th, 2022 15:00

Glad to hear you found a workaround.  I came up empty on the other forum.

I can understand your small business IT staff pain.  I was fortunate to have a full staff at headquarters.  I'm a retired LAN/WAN Network and Hardware help desk manager for SSA.

No Events found!