Unsolved

C

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

March 29th, 2021 20:00

OptiPlex 7080 Micro PCIe bifurcation support

Hi,

Does OptiPlex 7080 Micro support PCIe bifurcation? I want to install a PCIe adapter for the additional 2 x m2. NVMe SSDs, but need to know ahead of time if it supports bifurcation. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 29th, 2021 21:00

The 7080 is not a Dell Precision Workstation and does NOT support PCI-E bifurcation. The micro has no slots so there is no bus to allocate without an X16 slot.

PCI Express bifurcation on dell-precision 5820 7820 7920 tower

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000146802/

PCI Express bifurcation means splitting the PCI Express bus into smaller buses, and in this case splitting a 16-lane PCIe Gen 3 into a 2 x 8-lane PCIe Gen3 interface. XEON Precision workstatins and Servers support PCIe bifurcation have a BIOS setting for enabling the feature. The 7080 has no such feature.

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

March 29th, 2021 21:00

"The micro has no slots so there is no bus to allocate without an X16 slot."

This is absolutely incorrect! The micro can be configured to have a x8 slot, with optional discrete GPU, 5G NIC, or no card at all.

5 Practitioner

• 

5.1K Posts

March 30th, 2021 00:00

@cromka Speedstep is correct.  Dell offers 3 different system boards for the 7080 micro, 35w, 65w, and discrete graphics board.  However, these boards don't support bifurcation.  You can verify this information by going to BIOS and you won't find any option for PCIe settings as they are natively support on those workstation models mentioned by speedstep.  You may add T5810, T7810, and T7910 to the group.

Also the width of the 7080 micro is 1.42 in, you would have a difficult time to find a duo NVME adapter that will fit.  I suggest a solution that will meet your goal: replace the existing 2 NVME drives to maximum capacity (2TB for non SED), and replace your 2.5" hard drive to 512 GB SSD.  Keep in mind that NVME drives will produce quite a lot of heat and the design of the case is not helping with the cooling.  Try to get the high performance drives.  If you still need more storage, get some Samsung T7 with 2 TB.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 30th, 2021 00:00

PCI-Express Slots require more power than the Micro provides.  10W 3.3v and 66W 12v.

OptiPlex 7080 Micro Service Manual

No Idea how you physically fit the card that uses bifurcation and X16.

There are 2 M2 slots one is A E keyed cuz its wifi only.

The other is M keyed for up to 2280 card.

https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/optiplex-7080-desktop_owners-manual_en-us.pdf

There is no slot whatsoever.There is no slot whatsoever.

This card requires Bifrucation and X16This card requires Bifrucation and X16

No Idea how you shoehorn an X16 bifrucated SSD into here.No Idea how you shoehorn an X16 bifrucated SSD into here.

There are ZERO standard Slots in the micro.There are ZERO standard Slots in the micro.Fee

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 30th, 2021 12:00

Additional resources

Operating system recovery

Create a USB recovery drive to reinstall the version of Windows or Linux that came with your device.

Dell Digital Locker

Download purchased software and manage licensed software products.

Driver notifications

Get notified when new drivers and updates are available for your device.

Help and how-to

Learn more about drivers and keeping your device optimized and up-to-date.

Check Windows Compatibility

If you have a 7th Generation Intel Processor, your system can not downgrade to windows 7/8/8.1.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 30th, 2021 13:00

https://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-AOC-SLG3-2M2-PCIe-Add-Card/dp/B071S3ZY8P

would fit in the video slot 180w micro

no idea if it works

not paying $1500 or more for a micro

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 30th, 2021 13:00

So the other thing that's bad is its so crowded in the case that

Micro 35W chassis that supports discrete graphics cannot support 2.5 inch Hard drive.

If you get the AMD Radeon RX 640 4GB card the Brick becomes Huge

180 Watt AC Adapter

If you try to add other options (USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 2 PCIe Card  it says)

The component you just selected is not compatible with the rest of your configurations. Try selecting a different component. 

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

April 5th, 2021 22:00

You jump into so many assumptions so eagerly while not bothering to check the Dell configurator thoroughly that you simply come off patronizing and ignorant. I asked if this model supports bifurcation, but you tried to convince me twice that PCIe is not supported, and then that PCIe wouldn’t fit by pasting a photo of an arbitrary x16 card to prove your point.

1. You can choose two types of chassis, one with PCIe and one without. Depending on your choice, the backplate differs. It’s obvious that PCIe slot is present if you look at the GPU, the Network, and the Adapters sections of the configurator. Several online reviews also show the internals of such configurator. Not to mention the service manual. Why do I even have to explain it?

2. If p620 can fit there with its thermal envelope, then the 2x2280 PCIe x8 adapter will as well. Some even come with fans onboard.

I seriously don’t understand why do you insist on dying on this hill. I asked if BIOS supports bifurcation, because without it the adapter options are limited and expensive – the Suoermicro that you linked to is a prime example of that. That’s all I needed to know. Not whether it will fit or which adapter to choose l. And especially did not expect to be patronized.

5 Practitioner

• 

5.1K Posts

April 6th, 2021 15:00

@cromka , I know this post will be removed soon but just want to let you know that you are not the only one who got antagonized and aggravated by fastwalk (can't name names).  I've seen many posts by him and most of them were unhelpful, irrelevant, and argumentative.  However, he is very good with copy and paste.  As long as he doesn't try to say in his own words, people would be impressed by the vast of his knowledges.  But when he says something, that's when everyone could see the truth in his understanding skills.  He would spammed every thread just to prove the opposite, same type of people with limited thinking, he just think inside the box.  So sad that the Mods are actually enable this behavior and remove my posts when he complained.

I did make a mistake by agree with his response regarding your 7080 doesn't support bifurcation.  I though a confirmation of the answer, this thread would be closed with solution.  Didn't realize that he again trying to show his ignorant by posting all the wrong board and parts which irrelevant to your system.  Just want to let you know that he doesn't representing all volunteer members who offering solutions to users with questions.

Ignoring the irrelevant will make your day go by better. 

5 Practitioner

• 

5.1K Posts

April 8th, 2021 17:00

@cromka , update:  I am surprised that my previous post being restored after being removed.  Just for better understanding the design of this 7080 micro and the capability, I want to post this update with a visual built for anyone interest.  Although the motherboard does not support bifurcation, there is possibility to add a PCIe to NVME adapter to this model.  The dedicated graphics being installed on a riser card and taking up almost half of the space on the motherboard.  Here is a picture of Optiplex 7080 micro with a dedicated graphics:

Optiplex 7080 Micro.jpg

No Events found!