Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

4 Posts

January 15th, 2019 18:00

Optiplex 3010, TPM activation?

I've updated to the lastest BIOS (A27), but don't see the TPM settings in the BIOS. Strange thing is that I can run cctk.exe --tpmsecurity=enabled and it shows that it's enabled. When I run tpm.msc from Windows 7 it says there isn't a supported TPM 1.2 chip. 

Since it looks like I won't get TPM working is there a list of Optiplex systems that support TPM 1.2?

573 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 01:00

Hi @cwhitmore,

Checked on the spec sheet and it stated: TPM is not available in all regions. Sorry.

Here's another<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

telling models with TPM support.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 23rd, 2019 19:00

Not All Systems come with AMT aka VPRO.  If the AMT was ever disabled then it can NEVER be re enabled again.

There is a white sticker on the inside cover that indicates what the AMT mode is or isnt. On the Manageability Mode Options for Dell Optiplex where they say that Management Options of the computer depend on the sticker inside the machine chassis. And if the sticker says 1, AMT is installed on the motherboard, and if it's any other (2, 3 or 4) number, AMT is not and only a motherboard change can change it.

Manageability Mode Options on Replacement System Boards for the OptiPlex™

The OptiPlex™ has one system board per chassis available for dispatch. The system board is shipped in manufacturing mode and the end user or service provider must select the manageability option upon first boot. There are four manageability options that might be seen on the customer order according to the original configuration purchased.
For information on what manageability options were configured when the system was originally shipped, refer to Table 1

Label   SKU Part Number DescriptionBasic Systems Management ModeDeployment Mode

1vPro
AMT
DASH Ready
310-9491CU245Short: Advanced Client Systems Management,w/vPro,OPTI
Long: Advanced Client Systems Management,with vPro,Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Advanced Client Systems Management (w/ vPro)
MOD MOD,LBL,MGMT,VPRO/AMT/DASH
1AMT
DASH Ready
310-9494HP413Short: Advanced Client Systems Management,w/iAMT,OPTI
Long: Advanced Client Systems Management,with iAMT,Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Advanced Client Systems Management (w/ iAMT)
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,AMT/DASH,OPTI
2ASF Only310-9492CU377Short: Basic Client Systems Management,w/ASF,OPTI
Long: Basic Client Systems Management,with ASF,Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Basic Client Systems Management (w/ ASF)
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,ASF ENABLED
3ME Disabled310-9493XT411
NN180
Short: Client Systems Management Disabled,OPTI
Long: Client Systems Management Disabled, Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Client Systems Management Disabled
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,MEBX,DISABLE,OPT
MOD MOD,INFO,1-WATT,BIOS,OPTI,755
N/ADisables Remote Configuration310-9495CU378Short: One Touch Provisioning Support,OPTI
Long: One Touch Provisioning Support, Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: One Touch Provisioning Support
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,ONE TOUCH CNFG
2ASF with AMT option310-9497WK835Short: LEGACY ASF SETTING FOR IAMT,OPTI
Long: Legacy ASF Setting for iAMT,Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Legacy ASF Setting for iAMT
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,ASF ROLL BACK
4No TLS *310-9496RU572Short: TLS Encryption Disabled,OPTI
Long: TLS Encryption Disabled, Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: TLS Encryption Disabled
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,TLS,DISABLE,OPTI

* The No TLS option only applies to the following countries: China, France, Hong Kong, Israel, Korea, Poland, and Russia.
Table 1: Manageability Mode Labels
When issuing a dispatch, leave a note in the Comments to Service Provider field with the Manageability Mode option that must be selected after the system board is replaced.

The Manageability Mode Sticker on the Chassis Cover for the OptiPlex™

On the inside of the removable side cover there is a 2" x 1" label denoting the manageability mode with which the system was purchased (Figures 1 ).

Figure 1: The Manageability Mode Sticker Location on the OptiPlex

Configure the Manageability Mode on a Replacement System Board

Note: 
 When the number for the manageability mode is entered and confirmed, it is unable to be changed. If the incorrect manageability mode is selected, it is possible the system board must be replaced depending on the option selected. 
  1. Turn the system off and remove the power cord.
  2. Open the chassis cover and locate the manageability mode sticker.
  3. Verify the number on the manageability mode sticker.
  4. Close the chassis cover, plug the power cord back into the system, and turn the system on.
  5. At the Type the number corresponding with your selection: prompt, press the key for the number obtained from the sticker (Figure 1).

Figure 1: Prompt Received After Replacing the System Board
  6. At the Continue with selection? (Y/N) prompt, press .
  7. After the system shuts down, turn the system back on to continue with normal operation.

Change Manageability Modes 1 and 2 if Incorrectly Selected

It is not possible to  EVER change the Manageability Mode when options 3 or 4 have been selected. 
If Manageability Mode options 1 or 2 are incorrectly selected after replacing the system board, correct this by performing the following steps:

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Press and hold  while tapping

at the Dell logo screen to enter the Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension (MEBx) screens.

3. When prompted, enter the password and press .
  4. Select Intel (R) ME Configuration and press .
  5. At the [ Caution ] screen, press .
  6. At the Intel (R) ME Configuration screen, press to select Intel (R) ME Features Control amd Press the key.
  7. Press  to select Manageability Feature Selection.
  8. Use or to select either Intel (R) AMT or ASF, which are respectively options 1 and 2 when selecting the Manageability Mode on a replacement system board.

59 Posts

January 28th, 2022 18:00

• I’m not exactly sure why you’re trying to enable tpm. Is for an os upgrade? Unfortunately, most of the older pcs don’t have tpm available. My T3500 is the same way.
  • On the flip side, you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Just go to the Microsoft website and enter media creation tool. Find Windows 10, and it will walk you through the process. I just upgraded my laptop and desktop to Windows 10 last year when they stopped supporting Windows 7.

59 Posts

January 29th, 2022 23:00

• I was simply repeating what I found on the internet when I searched how to activate tpm. My T3500 and the optiplex 3010 are both saying they’re not ready for Windows 11. One of the reasons that comes up is that tpm is not enabled. When I follow the instructions I found on the website, the pc says not available.
  • As for my T3500, it also says that Windows 11 doesn’t support Xeon processors.
  • As for Windows 11, I will probably wait awhile to upgrade like I did with Windows 10. There were issues with Windows 10 64 bit when it first came out that caused errors with gaming (missing 32 bit dll). I’m not so sure Windows 11 64 bit will be perfect when it’s released either.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 29th, 2022 23:00

@Semi-geek 

@cwhitmore 

@bmcowboy 

Microsoft and Dell do not support any os that did not ship with the system.

HOWEVER windows 7 8 10 11 work fine on ALL models with AT LEAST Pressler pentium D 900 series CPU and 4 gigs of ram. meaning an ancient vacuum tube model like Optiplex GX620 with Pentium D 915 to 960 will install windows 10 or 11 just fine.  I do recommend a 2.5 500 gig SSD and a quadro K600 GPU as well as updating bios to A11 etc.  Other than that works fine which means newer models also work fine.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49967852

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/48970443

This is all subject to change so I would recommend downloading rufus as well as the Windows 10 21H2 iso and the Windows 11 ISO now.

So you can use Rufus 3.17p  to make a USB 2.0 flash drive installer for 10 or 11 on non secure boot legacy MBR models.

Not supported does not mean not working.  So the upgrade is working fine with windows 7 pro or ultimate COA key and works fine with windows 8 pro key in bios for windows 10 or 11.

Rufus

Added Windows 11 "Extended" installation support (Removes UEFI TPM/Secure Boot/RAM requirements)

Rufus 3.17p 

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

Download Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO)
This option is for users that want to create a bootable installation media (USB flash drive,
DVD) or create a virtual machine (.ISO file) to install Windows 11.
This download is a multi-edition ISO which uses your product key to unlock the correct edition.

On the Windows 10 download page, download the media creation tool by selecting Download tool now, then run the tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

In the tool, select Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO) for another PC > Next.

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

No Events found!