Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

6 Posts

January 24th, 2019 02:00

Optiplex 3020, incompatible RAM upgrade?

Hello there.

So, I recently acquired a Dell Optiplex 3020 (mini tower) that came with 4gb of DDR3, 1600mhz. The motherboard only has 2 RAM slots, and the manual specifies it can take 2, 4 or 8 GB modules, up to 1600mhz speed and a total of 16gb (2x8gb).

After some research I decided to buy a used 4gb upgrade, with the exact same specifications as the other, the only difference being the brand (Kingston instead of the original Hyundai). When I got it, as I put it in slot 2, the computer fan starts spinning as soon as I connect the power cable and doesn't stop. No image or any signal at all on the monitor. The power button flashes a code that, according to the manual, means a memory problem.

I have tried the new RAM alone in slot 1 and it works just fine, so it's not a bad stick. I ran CPUID with both sticks alone and the numbers in every field are exactly the same between the two sticks, so the only difference really is the brand, which should not be a problem (?).

What I have tried so far with no results:

- new RAM in slot 1, old RAM on slot 2 and the other way around;

- new and old only in slot 2;

- upgrading BIOS;

- resetting CMOS and BIOS Password with the mobo jumper;

- messing around UEFI settings (though there's not much I can change, no access to speeds or voltages or whatever).

- manually cleaning the slots and the sticks;

- unplugging USBs and hard drives;

After all this I assumed there was just some incompatibility between the sticks and decided to try a different one. The most likely compatible brand seems to be Corsair, so I bought one, with the exact same specifications.

Tried, again, all possible combinations and troubleshootings with the three sticks and ended up with no results.

So, basically, it does not boot at all with any two RAM sticks together but works fine with any single one alone. Can the brand really make a difference or am I missing something? By now I read through half the internet forums and I am out of ideas and search terms, so any new suggestion is welcome!

Thank you :)

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 24th, 2019 03:00

Mixing memory brands, even the same spec's, is not a good idea and most often fails.  Memory should only be one brand/type.  Even my home built desktop that uses an ASUS motherboard will not work with two brands of memory.  I have some Corsair and I have some GSkill both the same type/spec's.  With either the PC boots and works, but with both the Corsair and GSkill installed it will not boot and gives me memory "beep" error. 

We have many posts over the years, on this forum, of mixing memory "failures".  I also see failures on other computer forums.

Barring a remote hardware problem on your motherboard, the problem is mixed brand memory.

6 Posts

January 24th, 2019 04:00

Yes, I figured it can only be it. I've read about people having this problem but also of many successful stories of mixed brands working just fine, so it was worth a try.

I was just making sure I exhaust every option to make this work before buying a new pair but guess this is it!

Thanks for your reply,

Cheers

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 24th, 2019 06:00

There are a few that have been lucky with mixed brands, but in most cases mixed brands do not work.

I would go with Crucial.  Crucial guarantees their memory to work in a Dell.

January 25th, 2019 05:00

I'm using different memory brands, with the exact same specs on my 7020 SFF.
Currently using 2x4 GB Adata on a channel and 2x4 GB SMART (the original ones) on other.

Haven't tested the mixed brands on a same channel, tho.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 25th, 2019 06:00

As I noted there are a few that are lucky and mixed brands work.  But over the years (and I've been on this forum 17 years) we have seen very few that made it work.   I work other computer forums and its the same there (with all brands).

1 Message

June 2nd, 2020 18:00

I have the same problem (letter for letter) as the OP, and yet I used matching RAM sticks and still no success.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2020 03:00

The 3020 requires 1.35V memory.  If not using this voltage memory that may be the problem.

6 Posts

December 13th, 2021 03:00

Hello,

It has been a long time since I got back to this. In the meanwhile I acquired 2 x 8GB of RAM with the exact recommended specs: a pair of Crucial DDR3 1600mhz 1.35v.

Both sticks tested and working, but I have the exact same symptoms: no boot, fans keep spinning and amber light flashing with the 2, 3 pattern.

I tried all the troubleshooting again, and changed the CMOS battery, but I am out of options.

Should I assume that my slot 2 is dead? Is there any other test I can do or is the only solution to buy a new mother board?

Thank you!

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 13th, 2021 05:00

Have you tried installing RAM in just the #2 slot and if so does the system boot? The 2,3 blink pattern can also indicate a bad MB which goes back to a possible bad slot. Have you looked at the slot to see if any pins are bad or the slot is damaged? And if you want to really reach a bit for a possible cause, I have seen a CPU that had a bad memory controller which only affected slot 2. If the RAM were only in slot 1 the system ran fine. Rare but possible.

6 Posts

December 13th, 2021 06:00

Hi, thanks for your reply.

If I use only slot 2 it does not boot. Does the same thing as with both plugged, so maybe the problem is with that slot. There is no difference between the two that I can see, no bad pins, everything seems fine.

1 Message

March 25th, 2022 10:00

Hi Abiatar,  did you ever find a solution to this issue?  I also am having an issue with Slot 2 behavior.  When I use Slot 1 and run diagnostics, I get a memory error popup, error code:  2000-0122.  Just wondering if you discovered what the issue was?  

6 Posts

March 26th, 2022 05:00

Hi there.

I never got any errors. The last thing I tried was buying a 2 x 8GB pair, with Dell's recommended settings (Crucial, 1600mHz, 1.35v). Same results - both RAMs work OK in slot 1; no boot on slot 2 alone or both slots.

I have no other options and can only conclude slot 2 is damaged and I must work with only 8GB on this machine.

Hope you have more luck than me!

No Events found!