Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

November 28th, 2018 13:00

Optiplex 3060 - No Legacy Hard Drive boot option?

Please don't tell me Dell pulled yet another bone-headed move. It doesn't look like there is a Legacy Hard Drive boot option in the BIOS. Can anyone confirm?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 28th, 2018 15:00

I would think similar operation to OptiPlex 5060 .

https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/5060-boot-Legacy-External-Device/td-p/6090625

Maybe it's time to embrace UEFI (and even SecureBoot). At least, stop fighting it.

Even with UEFI, I thought you could still F12 "one time boot" a USB ... fairly Legacy-BIOS-like I say.

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

November 28th, 2018 16:00

I am not fighting UEFI nor will I embrace it. It simple is what it is. The problem is image backups. If you back up the image on a Legacy Hard Drive you need to restore it to a Legacy Hard Drive.

Once again Dell has taken a very, very short sighted approach. It might have taken a handful of bytes to leave that option in the BIOS by my guess is that they saved .0000001 cents leaving it out so they did the good old Dell move of sacrificing functionality for the bottom line. Status Quo.

It isn't Intel. It is 100% Dell and their lack of intelligence.........

2 Intern

• 

590 Posts

November 28th, 2018 16:00

It's an Intel thing.  Dell Support Article: No boot device found when you change the Boot sequence to Legacy mode.  Quoting:

"These systems are based on the 7th generation Kaby lake processor (and above) and are designed to boot exclusively in the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) boot environment. As a result, if legacy boot mode is selected, the system will not boot."

April 10th, 2019 23:00

Issue resolved if the installer USB created with GPT Partition type..

1 Message

October 23rd, 2019 07:00

Hi aliimran191, can you be more specific?

I am having this issues too, using Aomei sw to backup and restore images on Dell Latitude notebooks.

Until now no issues with all models but a new Latitude 7400 has no Legacy boot mode and Aomei doesn't support UEFI.

Any idea's?

Thanks

November 16th, 2020 15:00

This is a bit late, but someone might still come across this.  The answer to your dilemma is a utility called Ventoy.  It creates bootable flash drives, and you can choose MBR or GPT.  After it creates the drive, all you do is copy ISOs to it, and it knows how to use them when you boot.  At that point you boot from the flash drive and a menu comes up and you choose from Aomei, Clonezilla, Ubuntu, Windows 10 Pro, or whatever ISO you put on the drive.  It's a must have utility for a tech.  MBR is default; I had to change the setting to GPT during creation in order for the flash drive to show up as a boot option on an Optiplex 3080, which has no legacy boot support.  Ventoy is free!

No Events found!