Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

1 Message

July 30th, 2018 16:00

Optiplex 9020 MT, boot device not found

Just installed a new hard drive into an OptiPlex 9020 MT.  Followed Dell's install instructions after downloading the iso for Win 7 (UEFI boot from flash drive). When installing from a flash drive, Win7 installs and on reboot starts to install over again. This happens 3 times. I figure it's because I didn't pull the flash drive fast enough during a reboot cycle. I pull the flash drive and the system starts. The Dell logo is on the screen for all of about .25 seconds, then No Boot Device: Retry, Enter Setup, or Diagnostics. I retry and it works. Almost every time.  But it's always on retry, never on initial power on. Setup never shows. Just a black screen. I have gotten it to show once since installing Windows 7. Should I reinstall again under Legacy Bios? I've installed all the new drivers and the latest Bios (A23) that Dell has to offer for this machine.

Thanks in advance!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 30th, 2018 17:00

@Nosyarg wrote:

1. When installing from a flash drive, Win7 installs and on reboot starts to install over again.

2. I figure it's because I didn't pull the flash drive fast enough during a reboot cycle. 

1. After the first reboot, it should ignore (still inserted) flash-drive and boot HDD C: forever

2. Not required

I just did this. Here are my notes:

OptiPlex 9020 - Nuke-and-Pave 03-2018
Intel i7-4770, 8gb RAM, AMD-8570
- Intel HD-4600 IGP (disabled)
Recent BIOS version (but not sure it was the latest)
Windows-10 Pro 64bit Install

Did an in-place upgrade from Windows-7 to Windows-10
with Windows-10 (v1709) Flash drive ... and still on old spinning-HDD
Worked fine. This drive and Install got erased eventually.

Installed Kingston A400 240gb SATA-3/600 SSD
Changed BIOS to these options:
UEFI
No Legacy ROMs
AHCI
SecureBoot OFF
- To avoid problems, it usualy works better to disable it for now, and re-Enable once Windows is installed and working

Boot Windows-10 64bit v1709 Flash drive
Since this one has no (Win8/Win10) key is BIOS, it prompted for one
Entered Win-7 key from sticker on machine
Custom: Full Install to blank SSD
- Delete all existing partitions so it installs to "Drive 0: Unallocated space"

Setup for Personal Use ... (Residential Peer-to-Peer network use)
Offline Account
No Cortana- All Privacy Options OFF

Do Windows First-Time Setup

Only used Windows-10 Supplied drivers (no downloaded Dell drivers)
DID NOT install Intel-RST. Repeat ... NO INTEL-RST.

Enabled SecureBoot
Works great. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 30th, 2018 18:00

Installng WIN7  USB flash Drive on 9020

REQUIRES Secure Boot OFF

Legacy ON

AND MUST BE DONE VIA USB2 PORT

The RECOVERY MEDIA from DELL supports this.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln298442/

2 Posts

August 4th, 2018 07:00

i have a Dell Optiplex 9020. it came without a hard drive & i installed a 1TB SATA HD but im having a problem installing Win 7 32bit.

The Win7 is on a USB flash drive. when i try to install it, it shows NO Hard Drive detected but in the BIOS settings, the HD does appear.

i have tried the "list Disc" option using the command prompt but that only shows the USB flash drive.

im going to try what Speedstep says  and will let u know if it works.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 7th, 2018 14:00

Generic Windows 7.0 WILL NOT INSTALL.

Generic Windows 7.0 sp1 WILL NOT INSTALL

The Dell WINDOWS 7 RECOVERY IMAGE has the F6 DRIVERS

YOU CANNOT INSTALL without the mass storage  PRE INSTALL drivers.

32 BIT ANYTHING is not supported on a UEFI bios. If that were an option then you could install XP or VISTA 32 BIT.

YOU MUST USE UEFI GPT and 64 BIT OS. A 64-bit UEFI PC can only boot 64-bit versions of Windows 7 or 8 or 10.

There is NO OPTION for 32 bit windows 7 dell recovery image.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 8th, 2018 10:00

There is support for Sysprep images, WIM files, SCCM and Open Manage now Dell Command + from Microsoft and Dell.

HOWEVER the support is not free.

Dell also provides Driver CABs for Dell Enterprise class systems (Latitude, Optiplex, Precision) to be used to simplify OS deployments on those systems with deployment tools like Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (ConfigMgr/SCCM) or Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT). 

System CABs for Venue, XPS, Latitude, Optiplex, and Precision Workstations - are designed for deployment to a single model and are developed and supported by Dell

WinPE CABs are designed to provide required drivers for WinPE to boot a Dell Latitude, Optiplex, or Precision Workstation for the purpose of OS Deployment.

Family Driver Packs are designed for deployment to multiple models and are developed and supported by the Dell Configuration Services.

Configuration Services (formerly known as CFI)

Dell Configuration Services (CS) integrates hardware, images, applications, peripherals and documents with your systems, as they’re being built.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/learn/system-configuration

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/learn/assets/shared-content~data-sheets~en/documents~standard-config...

Learn more about leveraging the following imaging solutions to integrate within Dell's Factory Image load.

Dynamic Driver Injection - Configuration Services allows dynamic driver injection. This gives customers the ability to keep up-to-date with the latest quarterly updated supported platform drivers. Read more

Join one of our weekly live OS Imaging Solutions eSeminars. 

Go to http://events.dell.com/?lang=en 

and search keywords for "os imaging"

2 Posts

August 10th, 2018 12:00

Solved:  it appears my hard drive is faulty- i never even thought of that as its a fairly new drive-hardly used it but when i connected an older 320gb drive, it was detected & windows installed.

then i connected the 1Tb drive to another pc and it was also not detected- so it seems its the hard drive.

thanks for replying though.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 10th, 2018 14:00

@msmoorad wrote:

Solved:  it appears my hard drive is faulty- i never even thought of that as its a fairly new drive-hardly used it but when i connected an older 320gb drive, it was detected & windows installed.

then i connected the 1Tb drive to another pc and it was also not detected- so it seems its the hard drive.

thanks for replying though.

That is common, and a more likely cause since this procedure is not normally hard to do.

Also, as I posted ... this machine gets smoking-fast with just a cheap $50 SATA-3/600 SSD.

No Events found!