Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

4 Posts

May 7th, 2018 05:00

System fan speed is higher than cpu fan?

In bios diagnostics,cpu fan speed is 11xx rpm,system fan speed is 14xx rpm, their speed is controlled by bios automatically and we can not ajust manually.

Higher speed brings higher static pressure but lower airflow. A cpu fan is need more static pressure than airflow,because the wind need to through the heatsink's fin. System fan is need more airflow to exchange the air between chassis‘s inside and outside, their speed is need lower.

So , why the bios set the system fan speed is higher than system fan ? That's make nosense.

And , is there a simple way to check the fan speed on windows 10 ?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 7th, 2018 05:00

Optiplex models are not gaming systems and they do not support ANY overclocking or voltage changes. There is a Bios Setting to airplane mode the fans to max all the time but then it sounds like a hoover and the unit flys away.

4 Posts

May 7th, 2018 09:00

I had report fan speed display issue on aida64 bbs few days  ago, and the newest beta can display fan speed now.

After some test, I think optiplex need more fan speed optimization.

In aida64 stability test:

1.When cpu's temp is between 30℃~70℃(86℉~158℉), the fan speed have no change at all(cpu fan is 11xx rpm, system fan is 14xx rpm);

2.When cpu's temp is about 80℃(176℉), the fan speed were only increse 100rpm, and the cpu's temp didn't  decrease quickly.

I think:

1.When cpu's temp is below 40℃(104℉), the fan speed should be lower than default(cpu fan is 11xx rpm, system fan is 14xx rpm) to decrese fan's noise

2.When cpu's temp is above 60℃(140℉), the fan speed should be higher than default.

2 Posts

June 18th, 2018 02:00

I have spotted the same issue about cpu fan not following the cpu temperature accordingly from a different approach though. I ve run prime95 to stress test the cpu, core temp to monitor the temps and speedfan to monitor the rpms of the fans. Well speedfan reports the cpu fan @ 843 rpms when the temp is around 36-38o Celcius with 1-2 % cpu load and guess what, cpu fan rpms do not even slightly increase at 100% load when prime95 is running and the cpu temp is at about 90o C. The most amazing thing is that in BIOS there is no setting for the cpu fan just for the system fan which can be basically system controlled (low rpms) or not system controlled (running at full speed all the time). For me this is ridiculous. What does it mean "optiplex is not a gaming pc" the previous guy says? I want to run demanding code in matlab and cannot do it because the cpu will melt!!!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 18th, 2018 04:00

All Optiplex systems have UL rating as well as Safety features that prevent CPU melting. 36 to 45c is normal for Idle and 56c to 70c is normal for heavy load with max temp being 100c which the cpu will throttle when it reaches this. Ambient room temperatures can affect CPU temps by 5 to 15°C. This is passive not Liquid phase change cooling.  Normal human body temperature is 37c and Room Temperature is 22c.  You are not going to get a cpu running cold at room temperature Idle let alone 37c under heavy load.  I dont see cpu's "Burning up at body temperature or even a fever at 40c.  If the system cpu overheats the system will throttle and if that does not work it will shut down and restart with Thermal Failure.

AIDA and Speed fan etc are not Dell products and not supported here.

While not sold or supported as a gaming system they work fine with specific GPU's  Like GTX 1030 and games. The system fan will get very loud if you set FAN CONTROL OVERRIDE so that its on HIGH all the time.

Power Manangement Fan ControlPower Manangement Fan Control

2 Posts

June 20th, 2018 05:00

As I see you insist on your opinion. Good for you but I wonder why since it is wrong.

What does it cost to Dell to install a bios capable of regulating cpu fan speeds like all other competitors? It is unacceptable to lack such a vital feature from the bios settings and instead just have a on/off option for the case fan. You understand of course that cpu life depends on its working temperature? A cpu working at average 45o C will "live" longer than a cpu working at 95o C. Also letting cpu reach their max temp limit takes a toll on their life.

"If the system cpu overheats the system will throttle and if that does not work it will shut down and restart with Thermal Failure" you say?? well you should tell that to my precission T7500 workstation which burned its 2nd xeon X5680 because it failed to respond when it reached high cpu temps. Now that I think of it it seems that poor cpu cooling is like a tradition for Dell.

Your argument about human body temperature is completely irrelavent. You compare different things. And it makes me think that you think you are talking to some ignorant guy who doesn't understand the difference between cpu and psu but guess again.

34 Posts

October 13th, 2018 11:00

I got my hands on a i7-3770k, but with temps up to 95°C I don't think its optimal for an SFF PC like that. The fan did not spin up high enough to keep up with the cooling. So I decided to put the i5-3470 back in.
No Events found!