Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 27th, 2020 14:00

Upgraded my optiplex 390 now doesnt work

So I have just recently bought and i5 2400, 8gb of ddr3 ram, a gtx 550 ti and a 500w psu. I am keeping the motherboard and hdd the same. I upgraded it with just the cpu and ram while waiting for the parts to arrive. It posted then it the screen went crazt going different colors everytime I restart it. I've tried repairing, going to the bios, and other things. I managed to run it in safe mode and troubleshoot it and detected missing drivers but I plugged in the ethernet but I cant connect online. Is there any way I can get the pc back to normal with the new parts? 

Thanks

Randomdeath 

Ps.The previous specs were i3 2xxx and 4 gb of ddr3 ram.

478 Posts

June 27th, 2020 14:00

Will it boot if you remove all the new stuff and put the original parts back in? Sometimes, it's best to start at a known working  configuration, then add one thing at a time.

Dells are notoriously finicky and picky. They are never a good choice for new users, unless you get brand new with official support.

June 28th, 2020 04:00

The 390 is one that everyone should stay away from IMO.  Because it has a weaker H61 chipset, compared to the much better Q65 in all the other 2nd gen Optiplex.  In fact...  I would stay away from any Optiplex that has only 2 front USB ports, like the 390.  They will all have weaker chipsets than their counterparts.

478 Posts

July 9th, 2020 12:00

Very good advise   @chocolatekarma 

But all dells are sub-optimal in one way or another, because they are merely business machines. No other function beyond money accounting or cash registers or stock control computers.

The Ferengis swear by them! But they only use them for business acquisition, not when they play a game

Some folks do press them into service in other areas though. Like me.

July 9th, 2020 20:00

My main rig here in 2020 is a 790 MT with an i7 2600 , 16GB RAM, and a GTX 1650 Super.  It's really all the computer I need for gaming and daily computing.

July 10th, 2020 14:00

@donm4599x 

You can get a GTX 750 TI that will be decent for 720p/1080p gaming on low settings, and play 4K or even higher video.  Many of them are powered by the PCIe slot alone, and can be had for $40-50 US.  It's about equal, or even a tad better, than a modern GT 1030.

478 Posts

July 10th, 2020 14:00

@chocolatekarma

That's what I'm using, but with a feeble i5, and NO gpu card. All I added was a USB3 card. It's Good for running external disk drives for backup. Won't play the latest games. Or super duper video.

I'm lucky as I never caught the game addiction. If you sniff that dope, no gpu or cpu will ever be fast enough. You'll never escape! Pushers write new games every day. Even one microsecond  frame rate will be something you will pursue even into the grave. The latest gpu will command all of your income.

No Events found!