Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

2 Posts

December 30th, 2019 19:00

Yet another Optiplex 3020MT graphic card upgrade question

Greetings all.  

I am looking at retiring a 3020MT (i5-4590 currently with 8GB RAM) from active office duty, and turning it into a gaming computer at home.  Looking at the differences between GTX 1050 up to GTX 1660 as i figure the card may outlast the PC and could be used later? I am open to changing out the PU as needed as well.   Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.  Potentially interested in the cards below, but additional advice.  

Zotac ZT-T16600K-10M graphics card GeForce GTX 1660 8 GB GDDR5

ASUS PHOENIX PH-GTX1660-O6G GEFORCE GTX 1660 6 GB GDDR5

ZOTAC GEFORCE GTX 1060 - NVIDIA GTX1060 - 6GB GDDR5X - PCI EXPRESS 3.0 X16

ZOTAC GAMING GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB TWIN FAN

GIGABYTE GV-N105TOC-4GD NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050TI 4GB

I guess one last question whether or not I can easily upgrade to Windows 10 PRO (have 7 PRO installed now, which is the main reason for replacement).

Thank you in advance for any help.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 30th, 2019 21:00

My notes say 3020-MT is fully UEFI (and SecureBoot capable) so those new cards might work also. @speedstep  might see some other limitation I missed.

Yes, new PS might be required. If that old-one is over-amp-ed it will likely either die or explode.

This is the "safe bet" (for a 5 year old machine).

ZOTAC GEFORCE GTX 1060 - NVIDIA GTX1060 - 6GB GDDR5X - PCI EXPRESS 3.0 X16

AFAIK, the free Windows-10 Upgrade still barely works. Try it.

You might Macrium Image system and then try an in-place upgrade. Once it is done, you are good forever on this motherboard (even if re-formatting HDD).

You can also drop in a blank drive and try a clean install. Enter your Windows-7 key at the beginning or later. If it "takes it" and allows a genuine Activation ... you are also successful. 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

2 Intern

• 

167 Posts

December 31st, 2019 11:00

I agree with what Tesla said.

Those are all decent choices of video cards. Don't forget to check out AMD's line up as well. The RX 5500 is worth a look see.

Treat yourself to a capable 500w-600w corsair or evga or seasonic or other trusted brand with the appropriate 6 pin or 8 pin

Don't forget to grab an ATX power adapter like this one on amazon.

24 pin to 8pin dell atx power adapter 

2 Posts

December 31st, 2019 17:00

Thank you both for your wisdom.  My overall plan is to have a rig set up for iRacing as it is too darn cold this time of year to get the the track in real life.  Minimum requirements as listed on the https://www.iracing.com  site are as listed below:

• Windows 7 SP1 64-Bit*, Windows 8.1 64-Bit, Windows 10 64-Bit
  • 64-bit Windows
  • 4 core CPU or better – Some examples (but not limited to): AMD FX-6300, Intel Core i5-4430, Intel Core i5-2320, AMD Ryzen 3 1200
  • 8 GB of RAM
  • A gaming graphics card with at least 2GB of DEDICATED memory – Some examples (but not limited to):  Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 @ 2 GB / GTX 1050 or ATI Radeon HD 7850 @ 2GB / AMD RX 550 or better

With this in mind, do you think I would really notice any difference between a 1060 and a 1660? Yes, more is better, especially for only $40 additional, unless it really isn't. Only other requirement will be the option of using 3 monitors.

Thank you again for your help.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

January 1st, 2020 05:00

"do you think I would really notice ?"

no person on earth can answer that to you , ever.! (some will try and fail)

run the game, many will cry for 5FPS lower, or shading not up to their  EYEBALL standards. (endless topic this)

there is no answer to that. (it's ART look , try , if not happy , wash rinse ,repeat)

some buy $4000 dell gaming PC with water cooling and who knows what.

then others (wiser) build of the old3020 , very nice, but then balk at 40 bucks,  really, you saved already $3500 bucks. why balk. get GTX1650 and stop and try that, buy it run it and be happy if not happy

send it back or sell it, and go up the Turing ladder of speed, there is no other way this PC.

be brave.  (no cash limit stated by you, and gee matters BIG TIME)

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

January 1st, 2020 05:00

do w10 64bit first,  forget w7 , w7 is DOA now. like XP and will get worse every day from now ,I promise.

then later you say 3 displays?  with DP display port, no monitors stated, at all, nor how  many, ?

(direct or daisy chained?)

GPU cards there are 10,000 cards made that fit and work, I have tested 20 cards 3020, even   new. !!

I have GTX1650 in mine try that. but with 3 DP ports if running 3 monitors are you?

best bang for the buck is this enter level,  Turing  based card. it fits and runs, buy one with rear ports YOU NEED.

why not look at the 7000 + that have already here.  see, look, omg vast cards do run here, amazing fact.

posted this vast times now,  ever like search? for 3020 GPU?  just 2 words.

MT is the one to own so more cards fit and even work.

buy a card for the likes of Newegg, so if it does not work exchange it.

2020 is GPU H3LL year,  with many makers going 100% UEFI CLASS III,  if you buy the card IT MAY FAIL.

I'D GO NVIDIA MADE  real cards or ASUS.  we have seen many MSI cards fail for UEFI jive.

there are 12 players.

here they are.  (ID say this order is good)

• NVIDA (chip and card both)
  • AMD/ATI (chip and card both)
  • ASUS
  • Zotac  (one of my favorites) never seen one fail.
  • EVGA
  • GIGABYTE
  • PNY
  • MSI
  • Sapphire
  • XFX (Pine?)
  • VisionTek
  • Powercolor 

3 Posts

March 10th, 2020 10:00

I bought a gtx 1650 from galax for my optiplex 3020.
The first time the painting arrived, there was no video and I sent it to RMA.
the second time came and continued with the same problem, Windows does not recognize, not the video.
What can it be? BIOS? source?
does the 3020 support this card?

thx

1 Message

May 15th, 2020 21:00

Were you using your VGA connection from your PC or both the DVI (GPU) and VGA?  You should be connecting only the DVI from the card to the monitor.  

No Events found!