Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2019 05:00

dell 990 ssd window 7 install

I have a Dell OptiPlex 990 i took out WD hd an im putting a adata su650 ssd 240 an installing windows 7 do i need to change anything in the bios? this how it is now an if need to change anything how do i do it thank10.jpg11.jpg

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 3rd, 2019 06:00

SSD's are advanced format and require AHCI setting for sata operation.  If you do not use F6 driver windows will have STOP 7B error and or will not "SEE" any hard drive to install on.  F6 drivers are required for advanced format. XP used floppy, win7 and up use F6 drivers for AHCI/RAID disk using USB thumbdrive only.  Windows 7 will and up will also state"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing"

A required CD/DVD driver device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

This error can occur if one or more of the following scenarios are true: 

• The CD/DVD drive may not be compatible with Windows 7 or Windows Vista
  • The CD/DVD media may be damaged or dirty
  • Your CD/DVD drive may be incompatible with the Microsoft AHCI driver (msahci.sys)

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln291835/intel-rapid-storage-f6-drivers-for-windows-7-8-8-1-and-10?lang=en

After you select the install now option, select the Drive Options - Advanced menu, then select the Load Driver option.

F6 ADVANCED FORMATF6 ADVANCED FORMAT

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005611/technologies.html

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2019 07:00

when i try to switch it says uefi file system not found ? so i guess leave it set to Legacy?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 5th, 2019 05:00

You cannot Downgrade windows 8 or 10 to windows 7.

AHCI is SATA OPERATION Mode and has nothing to do with Secure Boot or UEFI.  This is under SYSTEM CONFIGURATION not the GENERAL Settings.  Windows 7 will need to be installed via DVD and F12 booting.

USB installs will not work here.

You will have to boot a windows PE media and run diskpart to CLEAN the drive. You CANNOT INSTALL 7 over the top of an existing windows 8 or 10 install. Windows 7 does not have UEFI secure boot.

Secure Boot must be off and Legacy option roms ON.

No Events found!