Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

13 Posts

August 17th, 2018 13:00

3020 with Win7 and 8.1 disc upgrade?

Hi. Just purchased a NOS 3020 with Win7Pro installed - want 8.1 that came on a disc. How do I do this upgrade of the OS?

I'm at the desktop. I've temporarily dismissed the Dell Upgrade Service box, there's 1-2Gb of Windows 7 updates waiting to be installed.

Should I just start with Win7 comfortable in the knowledge I can update easily in the future? Is it best or easier to do it now? Is it better to update Win7 first? What is involved in upgrading with the included disc - how is it done?

Thanks a bunch.

2.3K Posts

August 17th, 2018 13:00

So you can't just upgrade unless you have a license to do so. Some computers that had windows 7 did have a COA sticker that worked for both windows 7 and 8 or 8.1 but they did come with the disc automatically or you could download from Microsoft, windows 8.1 You can try the download and see if it will work, but you probably won't be able to find the discs anymore.

August 17th, 2018 15:00

Hi. I have the disc - it came with the system. Just need to know how to use it. Thank you.

205 Posts

August 17th, 2018 16:00

When you're ready, from Windows 7, just insert the supplied Win 8 disc into the CD/DVD-ROM and follow the prompts.

Now it's up to you when you want to upgrade, immediately, update Win 7, or find you like it and never upgrade at all. Personally, I think Win 10 > Win 7, but Win 7 > Win 8/8.1

205 Posts

August 17th, 2018 17:00

@speedstep wrote:
You can go from 7 to 8.0 via upgrade but only 32 to 32  or 64 to 64.

The upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 is free.

Isn't that what we're all talking about here or is there another thread I'm not familiar with.

He has Windows 7, the system included an upgrade disk for Windows 8 (which obviously would be the same 32/64-bit edition, right?) and afterwards he would get the free digital upgrade to 8.1.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 17th, 2018 17:00

There is no 7 to 8.1 upgrade only reinstall and only with a new key.

There are no 32 bit to 64 bit upgrades for ANY version of windows only clean install.

So you need either the HOME or PRO  8.0  upgrade or you need to buy a new copy of windows and

clean install.

August 17th, 2018 18:00

Hi Guys and thank you for taking the time to review my post.

The computer is new (old stock) and came with an included 8.1 disc from Dell. Everything should be compatible and with appropriate license.

I suspect Da_Vinman is correct - insert disc and follow prompts. Easy enough.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 18th, 2018 01:00

@Da_Vinman wrote:

@speedstep wrote:

Isn't that what we're all talking about here or is there another thread I'm not familiar with.

He has Windows 7, the system included an upgrade disk for Windows 8 (which obviously would be the same 32/64-bit edition, right?) and afterwards he would get the free digital upgrade to 8.1.

1   There is NO SUCH THING as 32 / 64 version.  The 8.0 upgrade  has 2 disks 1 is 32 bit and 1 is 64 bit,  THERE ARE NO 8.1 UPGRADE disks.  They do not exist on the planet earth.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Pro-Upgrade-Version/dp/B008H3SW4I/

The upgrade was available for a limited time. Its no longer sold by microsoft.

• Running Windows 7, Windows XP or Windows Vista? Upgrade to Windows 8 with Windows 8 Pro
  • Once you install Windows 8, Windows 8.1 is available as a free update directly from Microsoft

2.  OEM disks whether 8.0 or 8.1 are NOT UPGRADE Disks.

3. The ONLY upgrade disks existing today are from Home To PRO or MCE.  HOWEVER only windows 10 is sold now.

5.6K Posts

August 19th, 2018 11:00

@averageguy2018 wrote:

Hi. Just purchased a NOS 3020 with Win7Pro installed - want 8.1 that came on a disc. How do I do this upgrade of the OS?

I'm at the desktop. I've temporarily dismissed the Dell Upgrade Service box, there's 1-2Gb of Windows 7 updates waiting to be installed.

Should I just start with Win7 comfortable in the knowledge I can update easily in the future? Is it best or easier to do it now? Is it better to update Win7 first? What is involved in upgrading with the included disc - how is it done?

Thanks a bunch.

Find your PC's COA and write down the product key.

There are software that can help you obtain the product key.

You can still "upgrade" to Windows 10 from Windows 7 for free.

I did this recently with a used E6400 that has a Windows 7 Home Premium COA but no hard drive.

I put in a brand new hard drive.

I inserted a USB flash drive created with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool.

Installed Windows 10 Home.

Activated Windows 10 Home with the Windows 7 Home Premium key.

This is what I would do if I were you.

August 19th, 2018 12:00

Used Win10 when it was first launched for a few months and liked it. Tried it again over the last few months and hated it.

I'd like to use Win8.1 with my new computer if I can be sure of how this is done. Dell update software suggests I need to update my bios - not sure if I should do this, if it is necessary - or if I should do it before or after a Win8.1 upgrade.  

Hoping someone sees this who has been through this. Thank you.

205 Posts

August 19th, 2018 21:00

@speedstep wrote

The 8.0 upgrade  has 2 disks 1 is 32 bit and 1 is 64 bit,  THERE ARE NO 8.1 UPGRADE disks.  They do not exist on the planet earth.

Wow, you seem to have some issues reading, as you yourself commented that it is possible to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and then use the free digital 8.1 upgrade - I know this is possible, as I personally did it on multiple systems.

Please read my reply again (seriously, READ it, don't just rage-type more CAPS-lock **bleep**):

"He has Windows 7, the system included an upgrade disk for Windows 8 (which obviously would be the same 32/64-bit edition, right?) and afterwards he would get the free digital upgrade to 8.1."

Exactly where did I state there was a "Windows 8.1 upgrade disk" that exists on planet Earth. I clearly outlined the same process that Dell outlines, that I have performed multiple times, and that you yourself outlined earlier.

August 20th, 2018 02:00

Hey Guys - thanks for trying to help me.

I'm holding onto a Dell disc that reads:

Operating System
Already installed on your computer
Windows 8.1 Recovery Media for Windows 8.1 Products 64-bit

The links I included in a previous post talk about systems that were shipped with 8.1 with downgrade rights to Windows 7 Pro. The units were shipped with Windows 7 appearing on initial boot-up.
See this link: https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-General/How-to-install-included-Windows-8-1-on-OptiPlex-3020/m-p/4717383#M369226

I'm not clear if it's possible both OS are on here right now and it's just a question of figuring out how to access 8.1 or if I need to "re-install" it from the disc.

I used the Dell support feature / scan and it informed me there was a new version of the BIOS for my computer - so I have the additional question of whether I should update this (or not, or before or after any 8.1 "re-install).

Will Dell tech support answer some questions on this unit (circa 2015) without a fee? 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 20th, 2018 04:00

@Da_Vinman wrote:

@speedstep wrote

The 8.0 upgrade  has 2 disks 1 is 32 bit and 1 is 64 bit,  THERE ARE NO 8.1 UPGRADE disks.  They do not exist on the planet earth.

Wow, you seem to have some issues reading, as you yourself commented that it is possible to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and then use the free digital 8.1 upgrade - I know this is possible, as I personally did it on multiple systems.

Please read my reply again (seriously, READ it, don't just rage-type more CAPS-lock **bleep**):

"He has Windows 7, the system included an upgrade disk for Windows 8 (which obviously would be the same 32/64-bit edition, right?) and afterwards he would get the free digital upgrade to 8.1."

Exactly where did I state there was a "Windows 8.1 upgrade disk" that exists on planet Earth. I clearly outlined the same process that Dell outlines, that I have performed multiple times, and that you yourself outlined earlier.

1. "you seem to have some issues reading"  No I can read Just fine.

2.    "same 32/64-bit edition, right?"  Wrong.  There is no such thing. Does not exist.  Windows XP / VISTA / 7 and 8.0 and 8.1 come with 2 different media for 32 bit or 64 bit. 

(8.1 disks are Clean Install only. There are not and never have been 8.1 UPGRADE disks.

3  "He has Windows 7"  Wrong.  He has windows 10 installed.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 20th, 2018 04:00

Windows 8.1 Recovery Media for Windows 8.1 Products 64-bit (This is not an upgrade Disk)

You can only do clean installs.  There is an issue however that Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 cannot remove a windows 10 partition and reinstall clean.  You can easily reinstall on a machine with a new blank hard drive.

You will have to use DISKPART or DBAN or some other utility to nuke the drive.

That means you have to either get a new hard drive or backup your data files to somewhere else.

205 Posts

August 20th, 2018 06:00

@speedstep wrote:

1. "you seem to have some issues reading"  No I can read Just fine.

2.    "same 32/64-bit edition, right?"  Wrong.  There is no such thing. Does not exist.  Windows XP / VISTA / 7 and 8.0 and 8.1 come with 2 different media for 32 bit or 64 bit. 

(8.1 disks are Clean Install only. There are not and never have been 8.1 UPGRADE disks.

3  "He has Windows 7"  Wrong.  He has windows 10 installed.

1) No you cannot, as I and the OP have clearly stated he was upgrading from Win 7 to Win 8 using the disc, and then using the FREE DIGITAL UPGRADE to Win 8.1. It's like you're hooked to a coffee machine and copy-n-pasting your same comments over and over, hoping someone will believe them.

2) Do you even know what "same" means? If you have a 32-bit version of Win 7 and you want to upgrade to Win 8, you need the SAME version (32-bit) of Win 8, just as if you were on a 64-bit version of Win 7, you would need the SAME version (64-bit) of Win 8. Same = Similar, Equivalent, Matching, Alike, etc. Go buy a dictionary if these terms confuse you.

3) As you can clearly see from the FIRST POST, his question concerned using Win 7 and looking to upgrade to Win 8 - if that's too difficult for you, then just look at the title. Jesus.

No Events found!