Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 19th, 2018 06:00

The LOOP Of The GX270...

Okay, Here is the story. I got a Dell Optiplex GX270 Not working. I cleaned it up works fine. Now, I have installed Windows XP to the Blank HDD and it installed just fine from my disk. And i decided to see if it would run windows 7 efficently. Turns out no. And i wanted to downgrade back to XP, And it give me error Trap 00000006 EVERY TIME i try to boot from cd. Windows 7 Starts fine but i cant boot from the CD. USB Booting is broken for some reason. And i have no idea how to fix this. Any ideas would be helpful. P.S: Okay sometimes windows 7 bluescreens for no reason just saying. EDIT: Now the PC wont boot AT ALL.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 19th, 2018 11:00

That sounds like some error message from Win 7, not from a boot disc program.  If you were booting from the Win XP disc it would not have any knowledge of a previous attempt.  

I hate to say it, but I agree with your statement about a "lost cause".  

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 23rd, 2018 11:00

There is no way to "buy an hdd with windows xp already installed"

Thats not legal or possible.

XP can no longer be sold.

Dell specific XP restore CD's  SP2 (Green) and SP3 (Robins egg blue) are available on ebay and amazon etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-Resource-Models-GX270N/dp/B00GRZNP36

https://www.amazon.com/Operating-Windows-XP-Professional-Computer/dp/B01GQTEXWO/

As long as the home or pro version matches the COA sticker.

The resource CD for the 270 would also be required unless you plan on downloading manually all the drivers.

XP is end of life End of support AT DELL and Microsoft etc.

March 30th, 2018 01:00

I think its just my XP CD. When i put it in my main pc i went to virtual box and selected boot from cd just blank line. i tried to do an upgrade setup.exe was there and the menu came up but it just stayed at installing devices after like 10 attempts. so yeah i think ill just buy an XP cd.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 19th, 2018 07:00

If you have another keyboard try that.  Doing a search for that error I see a couple of them were related to bad keyboards (or bent pins on the connector).  

If its not the keyboard, reset the BIOS.  With the PC powered off, open the case and remove the CR2032 CMOS backup battery on the motherboard for AT LEAST 10 minutes.  Reinstall, observing polarity.  Power on, Press F12 to access the boot menu and see if the XP disc will now load.

March 19th, 2018 09:00

now that i think about it... i used a old windows me keyboard and to install windows... And i switched keyboards.. maybe! anyway i forgot to mention my cmos is dead every time its unplugged options reset even the time.

March 19th, 2018 09:00

Okay, Your solution did not work :( Well i have no idea. Also do you think i have bad caps?

March 19th, 2018 10:00

Well.... i found out the hard way. windows 7 wont boot at all. this pc is toast.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

Since Win 7 sort of works, but you get the error when you try to access the CD, It could still be a BIOS problem, but it could also be a CD drive problem, or last a motherboard problem.  Considering the age of this model, anything is possible.

Try reseating the IDE data cable, at both the motherboard and drive end of the CD drive. 

i dont think its a cd drive problem. if you run setup from windows it works. besides the installer because you cant downgrade from windows 7 unless its a clean install also it says boot from cd then one tou click a key it takes longer than usual then says the error

I think this dell is a lost cause :( I have tried everything i dont even know why im working on it. i just want it to work i even dissconected the hdd and tried booting and kaboom its not working

Ah Ha! Nwe error "Alert! The previous attempts of botting have failed at checkpoint [IntV] Please contact dell technical support with the checkpoint." anything you can get from that?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

Since you have a working PC, if the hard drive interface PATA or SATA is compatible, just temporarily install the hard drive in your PC and install Windows there.  You don't have the same hardware drivers, but you can download them from the Dell downloads and then install them on the GX270.

Install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel motherboard chipsets (3) Install device drivers including video, sound, etc. 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/optiplex-gx270/drivers

im just going to buy an hdd with windows xp already installed

March 19th, 2018 23:00

its not even showing a bios screen now. i think im just going to trash this pc.

No Events found!