Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2011 09:00

AMD Tower Servers

I see that there are plenty of AMD rack servers.  I've been waiting for an AMD tower server and I don't understand why none are available.  Does anyone know if Dell has any plans to release one soon?

32 Posts

February 20th, 2011 20:00

Yeah, it's kind of dumb on Dell's part in my opinion.  I have a few R715's and I would like to get a T715 to go along with those but it doesn't exist.

I think that the 700 model is one.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

"the 700 model is one" ... there is no "700".  There is a T710, but it is Intel only.  None of the current tower models are AMD.  As far as I know, the last towers that were are the T105 and T605.  I don't know of any plans to change that.  Not sure why that is.

32 Posts

February 20th, 2011 21:00

Those are in the server room.  I want two tower models, one for each of my offices.  I would like to stick with the same processor model as I like it and I might want to move some VMs around.

Why do you want a tower server so much if you have all those rack model servers?  I mean, you must obviously have a reason for the rack mounts. 

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

Those are in the server room.  I want two tower models, one for each of my offices.  I would like to stick with the same processor model as I like it and I might want to move some VMs around.

If with "to move VMs around" you mean live migration/vMotion, you're indeed impacted by different architectures, but if you just want to be able to move the files over and power up the VM on another server, the different processor architectures wouldn't matter.

Interesting.  Well then if you migrate everything to the towers, then you don't need the server room anymore.  I'm going to soon have one server at my house, and you know where my server room is?  Under my desk.  But that's beside the point.  You could then go for one of the servers previously mentioned.  Yes, they're a different generation, but dell may still support them. 

June 14th, 2020 03:00

Nine years later and still the same problem.
I would also like a modern DELL tower server that uses AMD 7nm CPU, but it seems there isn't any. 
And this is really weird, since tower servers are designed to be more silent than rack servers and an AMD processor would definitely help to that, according to my understanding.
Smaller CPU die, means less CPU consumption, mean less heat, means less fan activity, means less noise.
And less fan activity also means less fan consumption, so this is a great way to cut all negative sources of noise and power consumption.

Not to mention that using AMD CPUs might also be more secure...

The only thing I am not sure about, is if AMD CPUs will not perform well on encryption operations, since they seem to lack the AES-NI feature.

Anyway... I guess we are stuck with Xeons...
At least, let's hope their price drops.

No Events found!