Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

February 20th, 2018 06:00

Cannot install a Dell Poweredge T310 (missing DVD bay and SATA drives in boot options)

Hello,

I have a PowerEdge T310, with a PERC H200 SAS controller and two SAS 4 TB drives (Western Digital WD4001FYYG).

I would like doing this:

1. Check the S.M.A.R.T. values of each SAS HDD, and especially that the drives have no spin hours.
2. Install an operating system, most probably a Linux distro like CentOS.

For step 1, I planned doing a temporary install of Windows 7 to a SATA disk, so that I could use HD Sentinel Professional portable version (which is on an USB flash drive) to test the drives.
Maybe would be an easier solution. The important thing is that I don't want to install any OS to the SAS drives to test them.

I could enter the BIOS setup, and switch some SATA ports from "off" to "auto".
Although I left the BIOS using Esc, and accepted to store changes, this choice is not remembered after the server was powered off and restarted. In the available boot devices, I cannot see the DVD bay, nor the SATA drive. Seemingly, I'm doing something wrong ...

I'm accustomed to the BIOS of Dell Optiplex desktops and Dell Latitude notebooks.
However I'm new to the BIOS of Dell PowerEdge servers.

For step 2, I assume I'll have to hit Ctrl+R at start and set virtual disks.
I plan to use the drives in RAID 1 (i.e. mirrored), with a small system partition and a large data partition.
I would prefer installing offline from DVDs (without Internet connection) if there is no major drawback to this approach.

Can someone give me a little help?
Thank

(I hope posting in the right section; what does HW mean?)

• 

8.7K Posts

February 20th, 2018 10:00

Hi,

Can you private message me the service tag so we can get some additional system information?

Which RAID controller is in the system? A Windows 7 image may not see the RAID controller or drives.

16 Posts

March 1st, 2018 04:00

The DVD drive was not listed because the SATA ports were off.

After some time, I found out that I had to switch the SATA controller from "off" to "ATA mode". Then, switch the some of the SATA ports (A to F) from "off" to "auto". Pressing Esc, and saving changes. The DVD drive or a SATA connected drive are now visible. Then, I could not reorder the boot order with the +/-, but could exclude all other media from boot, to only keep the one I want.

As for the H200 PERC card, I could access it with Ctrl+C. Adding two drives to a RAID 1 array was relatively straightforward.

No Events found!