Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 12th, 2018 22:00

Dell Poweredge 840 SAS 5 raid wipe / fresh

Hello, I recently came across a poweredge 840 that had a running 03 server install on 2x 146GB sas hard drives. I wen't into Ctrl + C to basically delete the current array and start fresh. 

After I did that and went back in to create a new IM or IS Volume, one of the drives is showing wrg Intfc or wrg Type now. I can't seem to format this drive even when attempting to install linux and use a format tool neither when loading OpenMange startup utility for pre-os deployment (it only formats and installs onto the one hard drive)

Any suggestions on what to do from here?

- Ctrl + C to access array config

First thing I did (delete array)

drive status now shows "wrg type" or "wrg Intfc"

when trying to press "C" to create a new array:

This hard drive that now has the problems, keeps making a back and forth head reading noise but all the lights are blinking green. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 13th, 2018 06:00

Cheezefrog,

I would start with reseating the drives, as the "wrg type" (short for wrong type) message appears when a hard drive reports some of the required data to the controller, but not all of it. There are a few reasons the controller will mark the status of an hard drive as "wrg type", most are resolved by resetting the hard drive, but in rare cases the message is caused by a hard drive failure,

Let me know if this helps. 

14 Posts

March 13th, 2018 11:00

Chris,

Thank you for the reply. I have reseated and moved the two 146GB 15k Fujitsu scsi's around several times. But the error continues regardless. I do not understand how it went from a hard drive failure when the raid 1 was working prior to deleting the array in the SAS utility config. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 15th, 2018 05:00

You may want to start with updating the server to current, to include the raid controller. As this could have been addressed in a later revision.  Also, would you test each drive individually in the server, to see if they display differently.

14 Posts

March 15th, 2018 12:00

Chris,

So I ended up checking all the firmware and everything is current, both for the SAS adapter, and the firmware on the sas hard drives.

I ended up doing the easy route first, I ordered two new (but used) IBM 146gb scsi 15k hard drives off ebay. I swapped both of them out, yet the second drive (slot 1) is still showing up with the exact same wtg type error as before. Not sure what this means going forward.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 20th, 2018 08:00

Is the issue persistent if the drive is inserted in another slot, or is it localized to Slot 1?

No Events found!