Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 24th, 2013 08:00

Help with locating NIC drivers for a 2950

I installed Windows XP SP3 in my dell 2950 server earlier this year and I need to get the system on my small office network to move large video files. Since XP was not an original OS option there are no drivers listed for the NIC card. Can someone help me with this?

The service tag is (Svc Tag Removed By Moderator). It has a Broadband Netxtreme II card according to the boot screen.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

131 Posts

September 24th, 2013 09:00

OK. I took your cue to look for W2K drivers and I found these:

Broadcom NetXtreme II Family of Adapters, v.2.6, A03
Windows 2000 base and intermediate (teaming) driver for the Broadcom NetXtreme II devices, Family Driver Version 2.6.

They worked perfectly!

Much appreciated. Thanks : )

• 

8.5K Posts

Scooter250,

Windows XP is not supported on the 2950 as it is a desktop OS, and not intended for servers. THat being said there is no SPECIFIC driver for XP, but you can try this Windows Server 2000 version and see if it works. 

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-2950?driverId=TYVW9&osCode=WNT5&fileId=2731107537&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

Let me know how it goes.

131 Posts

This appears to be a manual only. I see no .exe files to install at all. Am I missing something here?

131 Posts

September 24th, 2013 10:00

I found these for W2K and gave them a try.

Broadcom NetXtreme II Family of Adapters, v.2.6, A03
Windows 2000 base and intermediate (teaming) driver for the Broadcom NetXtreme II devices, Family Driver Version 2.6.

They worked perfectly. 

Much appreciated. Thanks : )

131 Posts

Understood. Thanks.

I'll stay with these Dell drivers. Working great on my "illegal" XP 2950 Server : )

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

You can also get drivers directly from Broadcom for XP (however the specific implementation of the device on this server may change its compatibility - as well as that for 2000, since XP would not normally be installed on a server):

http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtremeii.php?legacy=1

38 Posts

February 13th, 2018 12:00

I hate to bump an older thread, but I'm having this EXACT same problem.  Whoever had this server before me must have also not found a solution as they added in an Intel NIC.  But I know the Broadcom NICs both work as I've tested them with linux livecds.

I've tried every driver I can get my hands on including the solution presented in this thread without luck.  I use window steadystate so changes are only saved if I tell the system to save them (no registry messes).  So far, I've not found a broadcom driver that does not result in the code 10 error.  Almost all the drivers recognize the card correctly, but none seem to allow the hardware to work.

Any assistance appreciated.  

(This 2950 is simply being used as a locked-down xp desktop, but it needs to get completely configured first.)

38 Posts

February 14th, 2018 10:00

I was able to get the NICs working by using the full setup program of the w2k version posted above.

I also ran some iperf tests compared to the Intel PT server card installed and the on-board broadcom does perform faster than the Intel.

No Events found!