Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 3rd, 2012 05:00

How to disable onboard VGA on PowerEdge T710

Hi All,

I have a problem when I install ASUS EAH6870 VGA card in to PE T710 the server install Windows Server 2008 R2 on device manager windows can detected and install ASUS VGA card driver but can't send display signal to all monitor so I try to disable onboard VGA in bios but I can't find menu for disable it so if someone have a solution for solve this problem please share it for me.

2 Intern

• 

548 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 22:00

The T610 and other PE servers have the ability to disable the embedded video controller within the integrated devices section of the bios. However to access and change the setting from the default 'enabled' to 'disabled' , a PCIe video card must be placed into a PCIe slot.

In the case of the T610, no x16 PCIe slot exists so you need a x1 PCIe card (expensive) or you need to modify a x16 card to fit (cheap if you have a spare one like i did).

Luckily for you, the T710 does have x16 slots so you have a larger base of x16 cards to choose from. Just ensure you don't exceed the PCIe power allowances and be aware that in disabling the embedded video, you also loose some features (virtual kvm, etc). It's all documented in the hardware owners manual.

Also, there are many posts regarding PE server video cards. Searching the forum for 'T710 video card' would have yielded this post at the top of the result. Searching 'T610 video card' gives a few more, this post which includes a picture of my modified card.

27 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 10:00

Hey there, every poweredge server that I've ever worked with has never had the option to do so manually through the bios like a desktop.

I think it would automatically detect the card, but I have got to ask why in the world do you have a 6870 in a server? I'm just curious. Its not like its an Nvidio card for Cuda work.

Also I'm sure you've already done so but just triple check to make sure that its got enough amps for the rails. I'm not sure but some cards run in "Low  power mode" when they don't have enough amps. Maybe this one doesn't?

3 Posts

April 4th, 2012 07:00

Thank you skylarking your recommend now I can install ASUS 6870 into my PE T710 and I will share solution in below.

The PE T710 have a PCIe 2 slot it can install VGA card 1 x16bit slot 1 x8bit slot but x16bit slot is located on last slot neary top cover of server and on top have a RAID controller module then it is impossible to install big VGA card into that slot so I will install card in to x8bit. For the HD VGA card it need 2 6pin power cable but on the first time I don't known this requirement I installed VGA card without power cable it a reason why I already install external VGA card but on bios I can't disable onborad VGA. after plug power cable bios can disable VGA onboard and now I can use ASUS EAH6870 VGA card on PE T710, Thank all guy for discuss this problem.

2 Intern

• 

548 Posts

April 5th, 2012 02:00

Xman, just take note of the heat and power limitations specified in the hardware owners manual for your system. Pay particular attention to how much power you can draw from each slot and for all slots combined (as this is specified to limit current draw and heat which can and will damage your system if well beyond designed limits).

Note there are 3 types of PCIe slots with respect to power consumption, 10W normal slots, 25W normal slots and 75W graphics slots. Pay particular attention to the fact that just because a PCIe slot is "x16" does not mean it complies with the graphics card part of the PCIe spec and can draw the full 75W from your system board. Also note that if you use a card with PEG (graphics card power connectors) you can draw up to 300W or more of power and dump that heat into you chassis causing all sorts of issues/failures.

So unless you take action to address the power and heat requirements of your graphics card and in affect redesign your system/case to cope, using something like the picture above (with 2x PEG connectors) is a bad idea. It's best to be conservative and use a low power 25 or 30W graphics card.

That's not to say you can't take measures to use a high power card but it's not just to plug it in and have the OS recognize it. Theres much more than that needed.

No Events found!